Backup Sets

I use a Sony TSL Autoloader with three magazines - Tapeset A, B & C. Each magazine contains 7 tapes, thus 1-Tapeset A, 2-Tapeset A, etc. I do a full backup on Friday night, then incrementals on Mon - Thurs. Most of the tapes in the magazine get used within the week and I change magazines once a week. I have two questions:

1). If the backup on Friday is a Recycle Backup and the backups on Mon - Thurs are normal backups, will the Friday backup erase all the tapes in the set before starting?

2). Is there a script available to erase all the tapes in a magazine?

1) Retrospect will only erase tapes as they are needed in a recycle. For example, when the recycle runs on Friday, Retrospect will look for 1-xxx, erase it and use it. Once full, Retrospect will look for 2-xxx, erase and use it.

2) There are no scripts to automatically erase all tapes in a magazine. You can do this manually from the Configure > Devices window. Select the loader then choose Erase All.

Assuming you are using the same backup set for Friday - Thursday, the Monday - Thursday schedules will be normal backups.

For example:

Recycle Backup to Backup Set A every Friday

Normal Backup to Backup Set A every Monday through Thursday

Archived