no storage devices?

Hi,

Just put Retrospect Express 4.3 on our new g-4 imac so that I could restore the files from our fried imac. While running it on OS 9.2.2, I put the first of the back-up disks in my Sony CD-RW (has worked fine for years) and RE can't find it. In fact, it can't find anything. "No storage devices found." When I click device status, it only gives me device ID 0 and nothing else. Why isn't it detecting anything else?

Thanks!

Sony CRX10U CD-R-RW drive is connected via USB to a port on the computer. The Profiler identifies it by name and says that it's supported. Everything else shows up as well on the Profiler. In RE the IDs numbers 1-6 now show up, but no other information is listed.

Required files on Macintosh OS 7.x through 9.x:

CharisMacOnSpec SIM V1.07c

CharisMacOnSpec USBD V1.07c

These drivers can downloaded from the Charismac website: http://www.charismac.com/Support/Discribe/onspecusb.html

Make sure you have all the proper extensions loading. If you are still not seeing the drive, try booting with base extensions, plus the ones listed above.

Thanks for your quick replies! The extensions I have are slightly different than the ones you list: Charismac10XU SIM V1.05 and CharisMac10XU USBD V1.05 - no OnSpec. The patch from the CharisMac site wouldn't update these two extensions.

I have Discribe 4.0 - I tried to run the 4.0 -> 4.5 updater, but it fails and gives me an error message saying that it couldn't find a match for a search specified by the installer. I installed Discribe from disc a few days ago, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but maybe it's related.

Archived