Can backup be done in real time?

Hello, I have a Windows 2000 Server box running as a file server for Macs and PCs. All working files are stored on a dedicated RAID array and the Server OS and apps are on a seperate HDD. Backups are done to a Sony tape autoloader.

I know how to run nightly scheduled backups but what I was wondering is whether or not it can actually pick up on and backup on the fly. So that if there is a drive failure we don't lose the work that was done that day.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

In reply to:

I know how to run nightly scheduled backups but what I was wondering is whether or not it can actually pick up on and backup on the fly. So that if there is a drive failure we don't lose the work that was done that day.

We don't currently have that ability. You may want to look into mirroring or synchronization software to use in conjunction with your backup.

I've been playing around with the Backup Server and it looks like it can be set up to backup every 60 minutes. That would be sufficient in terms of lost amount of work. If we're never more than an hour away from our last back that's great.

This system runs on a 4 x 10KRPM SCSI RAID setup. Should there be any real performance hit or stability issues if people access files while the backup is being performed?

Archived