Retrospect 4.3

I have recently started experiencing longer backup times. I am currently using desktop 4.3 which is on a G4. The system has an external DAT drive attached to it and backs up a mounted volume. We recently switched to an Xserve running OS 10.1.5. I'm not sure why the backup time has doubled..going from 8 hours to almost 16 hours.

In reply to:

I am currently using desktop 4.3 which is on a G4. The system has an external DAT drive attached to it and backs up a mounted volume. We recently switched to an Xserve running OS 10.1.5.

So, to be clear, where is the X-Serve in your setup? Are you backing up an X-Serve computer as a mounted volume?

One of the reasons that Apple moved to OS X is because it's much more effective with memory allocation and management. OS 9 will be very limiting in certain situations. Scanning 10's of thousands of files, as found on an OS X system takes up a considerable amount of system resources. If you are not seeing desirable speeds backing this machine up as a client in OS 9, the next step would be to upgrade to OS X. Again, just to be clear, we cannot properly backup OS X files mounted on an OS 9 box. You need to use the Retrospect Client.

Our OS 10.2 upgrade, expected out soon, may improve OS X backup speed via the client when backed up from an OS 9 server. Keep an eye on our website for release information.

I also have an Adaptec 29160 card in the G4, will I have to also replace this card with another comparable card? I've noticed on your site that there is a problem with Adaptec cards. So to clarify:

1. Upgrade to OS 10.1.x on the client box

2. Change the SCSI card to another brand other than Adaptec

And this should improve my the time to backup?

Thanks

From your posts, you indicated that your current setup is as follows:

Client: 10.1.5

Application: Retrospet 5 on OS 9

If you decide to run your backups from an OS X machine, you will need to use a supported SCSI card. The supported SCSI card adapter list can be found at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27381

Backing up OS X clients from an OS X application can improve your speeds.

Archived