Incremental duplication then unwanted full duplication

Am having a sporadic problem using 'replace an entire volume.'

Background:

I have three scripts set to duplicate three different folders to an external destination hard drive using 'replace an entire volume.'

- Am using Retrospect 7.6.123. Dell XPS2000, Windows XP service pack 3.

- The scripts are set to run at different days of the week.

- They run correctly, making incremental duplicates of any new or changed files as I intended.

- The destination drive is FAT32 format and has plenty of available disk space.

- The destination drive is only used for these duplicating scripts, not Retrospect Backups.

- C: is my desktop hard drive with the source files. K: is the destination external hard drive.

Problem:

Every once in a while, a script fails to complete and I get an "Execution Incomplete" message.

Most recently the following occurred:

On day one, Script 1 resulted in the following error message: "Can't use Open File Backup option for My Pictures on ND-08-17-2010 (C:), error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)" Am not sure what caused this.

On day two, Script 2 resulted in "Can't access volume Daily duplicate C drive Rick ph... on Wd usb 2 (K:), error -1102 (drive missing/unavailable)" I may not have turned on the destination drive.

On day three, Script 3 executed successfully. I think it didn't have an files to duplicate anyway.

The next time Scripts 1 & 2 ran, they did a full duplication of all the files in their respective folders - not incremental duplication of new or modified files as they have previously. Each took over 4 hours to duplicate about 55GB of data.

Questions:

1. What would cause the error messages for Script 1?

2. Do error messages and the resulting "Execution Incomplete" somehow result in scripts losing track of whether an full and subsequent incremental duplication has been accomplished and therefore start all over again? Can I stop this form happening - it slows down my desktop?

Thanks.

Rick

• Like 12

• 1 year later...

I am seeing similar results. Expect with mine, i don't get any errors. Once every so often, it simply decides to delete everything on the destination , then copy all from source instead of doing an incremental "duplicate replace entire volume"

I have a support ticket in for this, but no response yet. Anyone else get a solution ?

• Like 2