Disappearing Exabyte drive

fotmasta

What interface? SCSI? Firewire?

If SCSI, what HBA card? What firmware version for the HBA card? Any other devices on the same SCSI channel?

If Firewire, any other devices on the Firewire chain?

What firmware level for the Exabyte drive?

Have you tried running the Exabyte diagnostics?

Russ

Something's inconsistent between your signature block:

Retrospect 8.1 build 622

and your statement of your Retrospect version:

v8.2

I'll ignore that for the moment and assume that you are on the "current" 8.2 build.

Exabyte VXA DC

FW800 single device

What firmware level for the Exabyte drive?

Really? I take that to mean a VXA-1 drive, right? The firmware level doesn't match any of the VXA-2 or VXA-3 rev levels.

That's a bit old.

Recent changes and possible clues-

1. Change of hardware from G5 to MacPro

2. Upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2

Did it have this problem with 8.1? It might be useful to try a regression test to Retrospect 8.1.

Also, your G5 to MacPro involved two major changes (ignoring the PPC to Intel processor change):

Did your G5 have FW 400? Or FW 800?

And, you probably did a Mac OS jump, too, at the same time, right?

Tape Drive identified as VXA320

tape1 - Vendor : EXABYTE

tape1 - Product ID: VXA-3a

tape1 - Firmware : 3233

Ok, makes sense now.

What would be a clean way to drop back to 8.1? The problem didn't exist in 8.1

Um, more accurately, if I understand your updated problem statement, the problem didn't exist in Retrospect 8.1.622 on a PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.5.x, but does exist in Retrospect 8.2.0 (399) on an Intel MacPro running Mac OS 10.6.4.

I don't see any indication that testing has been done running Retrospect 8.1.622 on an Intel MacPro running Mac OS 10.6.4, or that testing has been done running Retrospect 8.2.0 (399) on a PPC G5 running Mac OS 10.5.x.

That makes it a bit hard to identify which variable is the cause.

As for leaping back to Retrospect 8.1, you'd really have to do an uninstall of 8.2 followed by an install of 8.1. I'd suggest saving away copies of your catalogs and the config80.dat file, too, so that you could go back to the current setup if things go horribly wrong, and you might have to rebuild your catalogs under 8.1 and you might have to recreate your scripts, etc., for 8.1, starting from a clean config80.dat file (unless you have a copy saved away from when you were running 8.1).

Some people have reported odd behavior on an upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2 if the old config80.dat preferences file was carried forward (perhaps corrupted in 8.1?), so there's no reason to believe that similar issues wouldn't occur going backwards.

From what I have seen, though, 8.2 is a big improvement over 8.1 (though still not without warts). Your disappearing tape drive is odd, and is the first time I have heard of this specific problem. A bit more testing might help narrow down which of the many variables in your case are responsible.

We don't have the Firewire Exabyte drive (only the SCSI version, on an ATTO HBA), so I haven't seen your particular issue and can't test for it. You seem to be doing all things right, though. Again, more testing is needed to identify the culprit trigger for this bug.

Russ

Actually I am running 8.2.0(399) on a PowerPC G4 with 2 GB of RAM running 10.5.8

Since so many variables changed like Russ said it is hard to figure out which one actually caused the problem.

I would first try 8.2.0(399) on the G5 and see if the problem exists.

I would then do a clean install of 8.2 on the Intel and see what happens.

Here's the result post-uninstall-clean install of 8.2

Drive disappeared.

Here's the result from the log-

stucFinished: [EXABYTE|VXA-3a|3233] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0x700945f0, scsiStatus 0x70094610

stucFinished: [0|0|0] transaction result 0x700a6bd0

stucFinished: [EXABYTE|VXA-3a|3233] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0x700945f0, scsiStatus 0x70094650

stucFinished: [0|0|0] transaction result 0x700a6bd0

!Couldn't erase tape, error -102 ( trouble communicating)

I

• 2 weeks later...

After kb article 9733, drive no longer disappears. However, backing up to this drive is not possible. The backup runs without writing a single file.

208 files, 100 MB, ran for 22 minutes.

Under Storage Devices, the tape was visible and named correctly. While the backup is running the tape name is blank.

Backup completed successfully!

But, in the logs there's this-

+ Executing Unloading media... at 10/26/10

10/26/10 4:53:05 PM: Execution completed successfully

+ Normal backup using Backup Assistant - 10/26/10 4:53 PM at 10/26/10

To Media Set Startup A...

- 10/26/10 4:54:14 PM: Copying Desktop

10/26/10 4:56:30 PM: Snapshot stored, 196 KB

10/26/10 4:56:41 PM: Comparing Desktop

10/26/10 4:57:03 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 1 files, 7 KB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute (0.1 copy, 0.1 compare)

Duration: 00:02:48 (00:01:06 idle/loading/preparing)

stucFinished: [EXABYTE|VXA-3a|3233] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0x700945f0, scsiStatus 0x70095790

stucFinished: [1|0|0] transaction result 0x700a6bd0

stucFinished: [EXABYTE|VXA-3a|3233] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0x700945f0, scsiStatus 0x70094610

stucFinished: [1|0|0] transaction result 0x700a6bd0

Should I be concerned?

I would check the ini file again and make sure it includes the appropriate line. Since this test was only one file I would do a larger test and see what happens. I have feeling that the ini file has reverted and the drive is disappearing during the backup and with one file it may not be long enough to get a proper result.

Before editng the ini file make sure to stop the engine or the new ini file will not be read.

ini file looks proper.

Ran an incremental backup script- 2.5 GB

It ran fine. Log is clean of all SCSI errors.

One peculiar thing I noticed is the backup is reported with the warning yellow triangle under Activities and Reports, but under Past Backups is listed with green succesful icon.

There were some compare errors in the log, because I was futzing around during the backup.

But I think the VXA mystery is solved. Thanks much!