Log updating?

Is the operations log supposed to update itself automatically in 8.2? Barring that, is it supposed to update when you hit Cmd-R ("Refresh")?

The only way I can get the log to update is to close and reopen the log window. I tried replacing the log (after stopping and restarting the engine and console). The fresh log didn't update automatically, but it did respond to the Refresh command--once. Then it went back to needing the log window to be closed and reopened.

Retro 8.2 (399), Mac Pro 3.2 GHz quad core, 6 GB RAM, 10.6.4 desktop.

I have found that the log only updates after an activity has occured whether this be ejecting a tape, scanning the library, doing a backup or restore, etc.

Also I have found that sometimes the log window when opened is not scrolled to bottom and that may be why it does not seem like it is updating.

OK, you have answered my question; the operations log should be updating automatically.

In our case, for example, an overnight series of backups with dozens of sessions will not be displayed in the main log the following morning unless the log window is closed and reopened. (Log entries for specific sessions in the Activities window do update, or at least can be refreshed, during the backup session; they just don't get added to the main operations log.)

Given the apparent fragility of Retro 8.2 and the fact we have finally got it to function only after a couple of uninstalls/reinstalls and config rewrites, I think we will try to live with this inconvenience.

Since you are viewing the log at a certain point in time it is totally logical that the window would need a refresh to update the contents if the log file changed after that point in time. If you leaving the log window open then I would say this is normal behavior. If I open the log at 2:30 and it changes after that I am still looking 2:30 log and would need refresh the window to view the changes.

Hitting "Refresh" doesn't refresh the log. The only thing that works is closing and reopening the log window.

Under previous versions of Retrospect, the log always updated dynamically, which from what you say apparently doesn't happen under Retro 8. However, it would seem that "Refresh" should enable updating. In our case, it did so once and then never again.