Offsite backup strategy

Can someone comment on whether this idea will work or not?

I'm trying to come up with a strategy to backup file server files to an offsite location using the latest version of Retrospect 6.

If I setup a normal backup or duplicate script to backup a server to an external hard drive from another computer on the LAN, the first backup will take some time.

Subsequent backups on the LAN will be much quicker since I'm backing up only what's new and changed on the server.

If I then take the external hard drive to an offsite location can I continue the backup from there?

(Note that I am also prepared to connect to the LAN via OS X Server's built in VPN function - so that Retrospect will think that the server is on the same LAN as the remote backup computer. On the other hand, it may only be necessary to connect to the server using AFP over IP - the normal method to connect to a Mac server over the internet)

If so:

1) is it better to use a backup or duplicate script? (e.g backup to Retrospect format or finder form)

2) are there any Retrospect files that need to be copied to the offsite computer to make this happen?