error 206 with the Toshiba SD-R2002

I have a dual USB iBook, 8mb VRAM.

I get the problem almost consistently with backing up the system files, backing-up with using the System Folder sector. If I backup with any other section, like backing up my documents folder, I can get through most of the time wiithout the error. I have tried the TDK CD-RW and the Imation CD-R. I am willing to believe that ithe problem is solved with using the correct media. Now only to find the correct media.

However, I can copy files to either the Imation or TDK media with no problem. I can burn Audio CDs from iTunes on the Imation CD-R with no problem. I can ever rewrite data on the TDK CD-RW with no problem.

I have been told that the 206 is being generated or somehow comes from the hardware itself. But, if the OS and iTunes can write to same media that consistenly failes with Restrospect, then I have to assume that the problem lies with the software or its interation with the OS.

Please advise

• 2 weeks later...

Dantz has received several reports from customers experiencing a problem with their iBook CD-RW/DVD combo drive that employs the Toshiba SD-R2002 mechanism. When used with Mac OS X, this drive reports frequent media errors to Retrospect, and backups are not able to complete successfully. As such, Retrospect cannot support this device under Mac OS X. Dantz has reproduced this problem, and we are working with Apple to determine the cause and find a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any solution for this? Can Dantz recommend a particular media to be used with the Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002 drives that might improve the odds of getting through a backup without Express crapping out? These Toshiba drives come built into the iBook as standard equipment, and I don't see them listed anywhere on the page with other known problem drives. Mine is 6 months old at this point. I would think that Dantz should/would have figured out what the problem is (if any) with standard hardware by now. I just bought Express, and have been trying to do a backup, and have had to toss most of my CD-Rs, and restart a couple of times due to this error 206. I'm still no closer to getting my stuff backed up than I was 24 hours ago, despite all the time/effort spent trying.

My configuration: 600 mhz combo drive iBook, OS 10.1.5, 640 MB RAM. Express version 5.0.236. I've been using imation CD-R disks. Are these CD-Rs the problem? What's the solution?

Archived