Backing up Windows XP Mode Virtual PC

carolbshaw

I want to backup up the Windows XP Mode Virtual PC as a client on my Windows 7 computer. I don't want to back up the huge Windows XP Mode files each time, because that would fill up my backup drive. I installed the Retrospect Client on the Virtual PC, but I can't connect to it. The Virtual PC can connect to the Internet in Internet Explorer 8. Retrospect 7.7 is running on the same computer as the Virtual PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see my XP mode machine from every where on my network. I think it depends on what you have set for the Networking setting of the virtual machine. Mine is set to the actual NIC, and not internal or shared NAT.

You might try that. I have not loaded the Retrospect client on mine, so I don't know if that will fix it or not.

• 3 months later...

www.pcworld.com has detailed instructions for networking under "Network in Window 7's XP Mode" at:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/204720/network_in_window_7s_xp_mode.html

The same article is in the December 2010 issue of PC World magazine on page 126, under "Why can't Windows 7's XP Mode see other computer on my network? It can access the Internet."

I followed their instructions to set up the networking. Then I ran Retrospect 7.7 under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I selected Configure Clients, Add..., selected Multicast, and the Retrospect client that I had previously installed in Windows XP Mode on the same computer showed up and I was able to logon to it.

I then backed up the Windows XP Mode Virtual PC C: drive as a client. I verified, did a test restore of a couple of files, and it all worked fine.

I just did this today, so if I have any problems or additional information I'll post again later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...