Client won't close...

sferrard

I recently bought a new desktop PC running Windows XP and I'm having trouble with the Retrospect Client.

I have a total of 4 system on a small network (1 hub). The 3 old systems are Win2k SP2. The new system is Windows XP home edition.

One of the win2k systems is running Retrospect Backup Workgroup Edition version 5.6.127. All other systems have the 5.6.112 client installed. I have no problems using the 2 clients on the win2k system.

On the XP system: The client install works fine. If I run the client immediately after install the status shows "Waiting for first access"...

- On the Server I go to Configure>Clients. The 2 win2k clients are listed. I click on Add, and the "Live Network" window shows my clients Including the new XP system.

- I click on new client and click on add. Type the password, get confirmation for name and click on OK

- Client status shows "initializing" then "connected".

- Server shows properties window for new client and a small "Client Connection" window pops-up and shows "Closing...." for a few minutes. This is where the problem start. That window eventually goes away with no error but the client doesn't go to a status of "Ready". If I click on the Refresh button on the server, I immediately get a Client speed test failed, error -517 (backup client is busy). If I try to run a backup on XP system I get a error -519 (Network communication failed)" in the log file.

Is XP not supported for the version I have? All 4 systems can ping each other. I swapped LAN cables between systems with same results. Other TCP/IP activity on XP box is functional. I've removed Virus software. retroclient.exe shows no activity in task manager. Help!

You swapped cables and the XP machine was still getting the same problem? What about trying a crossover cable?

Also, XP has a built-in firewall that can cause problems. Make sure that you've enabled port 497 for both incoming and outgoing TCP and UDP packets.

If this fails, chack to be sure that you have all NIC updates for the client's card under XP. You can also try swapping out the NIC with another computer that you know is working (check to be sure that the NIC is compatible with XP).

Yes, I swaped cables with same results. I just tried using a crossover cable between the two systems and I'm getting the same result. I can ping each system. The client connects, initializes but will stay in a status of connected indefinitely.

XP's firewall is turned off. While the client initializes, netstat -an shows an established connection on port 497.

I've updated the NIC driver (XP did find an update for it) but the result is the same unfortunately. After updating the driver, I've uninstalled/re-installed the client and tried the cross-over cable. No Luck.

As a test, I've shared my document folder on my XP box and I'm able to take a backup of it by configuring the Retrospect server to back a network share. That works perfectly fine but is not giving me the functionality I paid for. :-(

Any more ideas?

Archived