Open File Backup Fails

bobsch

I had to update to Retrospect 7.7 server after the introduction of a Windows 7 client on our network that needed to have a 7.7 client.

I've got all my clients backing up to the NAS on our network except for one Windows XP client with a 7.6 client. He hadn't been backed up since December because the user was out of town, so I started a backup to an existing backup set. Everything seemed to be OK at the start, but when I checked the progress of the backup the "Preparing for open file backup..." message was still there after a half-hour and there had been no activity at all.

I was told that 7.6 clients should work with 7.7 server, but I decided to update the client to 7.7. I bought a 5-pack of 7.7 license codes online because I'll need some for other Windows 7 machines.

I installed the 7.7 client on that computer and tried the backup again, but the server software was confused because it remembered that client as being 7.6. I then completely uninstalled what I hoped was 7.7 and 7.6 clients, rebooted that computer and started a new 7.7 install. I figured that things would now work OK.

The same thing happened as before. After I straightened things out by detecting the 7.7 client, I started a backup again. It was stuck on the "Preparing for open file backup..." message. I waited an hour before giving up, but nothing changed.

I decided to try again today so I started the backup and walked away. When I returned it appeared at first that the backup had completed, but when I looked at the log I found this error report:

+ Retrospect version 7.7.208

Launched at 2/27/2010 9:08 PM

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.7.1.102

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 2/27/2010 9:09 PM

To Backup Set Alan_M30...

T-10: VssWBuildSnapshotSet: StartSnapshotSet failed, winerr -2147212522, error -3042

Can't use Open File Backup option for Local Disk (C:) on TOSH-M30, error -3042 ( there is already a Snapshot set in progress)

- 2/27/2010 9:09:46 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:) on TOSH-M30

Can't reserve backup client TOSH-M30, error -519 ( network communication failed).

Can't use Open File Backup option for Local Disk (E:) on TOSH-M30, error -3042 ( there is already a Snapshot set in progress)

- 2/27/2010 9:14:56 PM: Copying Local Disk (E:) on TOSH-M30

Can't reserve backup client TOSH-M30, error -519 ( network communication failed).

2/27/2010 9:14:57 PM: Execution incomplete

Total duration: 00:05:09 (00:05:09 idle/loading/preparing)

I have had successful open file backups on other Win XP 7.6 clients and on the Win 7 7.7 client.

I am at a loss and he would really like to get backed up to our NAS.