disk problem

mleiser

Um, sounds like your volume structure is, let me guess, "corrupt" (corrupt filesystem). Have you tried running a disk repair utility?

I wouldn't trust any backup set data on that volume after the repair.

Use your alternate backup set. You do have one, don't you? Backup sets fail. Disk drives die.

Russ

There's nothing in your original problem statement that indicates that something is wrong with the disk. I'd reformat the disk and do a recycle backup to reset that backup set to zero. Sounds like the filesystem got corrupted. Perhaps did you have a power fail or crash?

If you really want to get another disk (again, don't see a reason to), yes, it's fairly simple to retarget the backup. Just establish a new backup set on the new disk.

My comment about disks dying was simply to point out that you shouldn't put all of your backup eggs into one basket. It wasn't to imply that your disk is bad. Sounds like filesystem corruption.

Russ

Sorry about my ignorance, but what's a recycle backup. I set up retrospect a long time ago and I'm certainly not a retrospect ace. I would like to get it to work exactly as before in the easiest fashion. And, yes, I have another backup that copies to my home from the office. Whatever info you can supply will be apprecited. Thanks. Mike

The backup set is a database. A "recycle" indicates to Retrospect that there isn't any data in the database. Starts over.

And you can also do a manual (immediate) recycle of the backup set without having to change the schedule. But, after reformatting the drive, you will have to put a new backup set on that drive because Retrospect will still be looking for the old one.

Russ

Is this possible? The strangest thing happened. I ran out of time last night and didn't get a chance to reformat, etc. and just left it alone last night. I came in this morning and the backup worked again! Should I still worry? Anything to do to keep things working before the next incident?

Mike

Just because the backup "worked" doesn't indicate that the data is good.

Your original statement about a "corrupt volume" can have several causes:

(1) a truly corrupt filesystem;

(2) memory errors, causing the in-memory copy of filesystem data to be bad. This will eventually cause a truly corrupt filesystem when filesystem data gets written back out to disk;

(3) motherboard issues with the CPU or cache, causing the same symptoms / issues as (2), above;

(4) malware or software errors, causing in-memory data to become corrupted - may or may not result in a corrupt filesystem.

Regardless, just because the backup "worked" doesn't mean that the data in the backup set is any good.

I'd suggest running some diagnostics, doing some filesystem checking, etc.

The worst thing to happen is to believe that you have good backups when you don't.

Good luck.

Russ

Thanks. I'm going to go with your recommendation. What I think I'll do is start up another backup set on another drive - identical to this one, and stop this one. What's the easiest way. I don't mind getting the new drive and I don't mind starting a new backup. I just want to make it happen easily. Thanks so much for your time.

Mike