Problems Coping Tape to Tape

Hi, I am running Retrospect Express 4.3 on a Macintosh. I recently had a problem with my Travan NS 20 Drive, from LaCie, that forced me to buy a new Travan NS 20 Drive from Seagate as LaCie no longer sells Travan. I discovered that the tapes are incompatable between the drives, something to do with the hardware compresion on the LaCie Drive. I had the LaCie Drive repared and now have both on my backup system. I have decided to transfer the existing sets to the new Seagate drive. I am having one major problem and would like some help!!!!

I have been informed that the Seagate NS20 drive dose not have hardware compression. A good thing for futrue compatability? I am told. But when I did the Copy/Transfer from my existing tape set to a new set on the Seagate it did not appear to use compression and it would only put 9.+ Gig per tape. This doubled the number of tape in my set. Is this normal? How do I turn software compression on when Transfering tape to tape? Will the new drive use software compresion on regulare archives and backups? I have not tried this yet

My last question, is it save to erase and reuse tapes from old sets for an Travan NS20?

Please help with any information, I am tring to deside on what my next step should be before I continue archiving and backing up and that is dangerious.

Thank You

Bill Andringa

Archived