Full drive backup backs up only 10% of the files

mattpenner

We have three Windows XP machines on a network each with REHD. Two machines back up to a third over the network. The third backs up to an external USB drive (on E:). I know the third machine is REHD 2.5 and I think the two other computers are possibly 2.0.

Recently our external USB drive died so we purchased a new one. It is 1TB in size.

Now, when I select to backup the full computer it wants to backup the C drive to the external USB drive (E drive) and the USB drive to the C drive.

To stop this I changed from Full Computer to Files I choose. I checked the entire C drive and designated the E drive (the 1TB USB drive) as the target drive.

The C drive is 74.4 GB in size with 3.7 free, so ~70.7GB in data.

After a backup this is what the log states:

2/1/2010 2:58:16 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

2/1/2010 3:25:10 PM: Snapshot stored, 47.4 MB

2/1/2010 3:25:19 PM: Comparing Local Disk (C:)

2/1/2010 3:44:04 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 28613 files, 8.8 GB, with 24% compression

Performance: 414.9 MB/minute (367.2 copy, 476.9 compare)

Duration: 00:45:48 (00:02:48 idle/loading/preparing)

Why did only 8.8 GB get backed up? The total number of files on the C drive is 35,559, so where are the missing ~7,000 files? Is there some detailed log I can look at that shows exactly what was backed up?

The size of the backup files on the C drive from the other computers is 57.8 GB, so it doesn't quite account for the full amount. Why would these files not be backed up anyway?

Why isn't REHD 2.5 backing up my entire C drive?

Is there some archive bit that is not getting reset since our last drive failed? REHD lists only 1 restore point available so it knows that there are no other backups available.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...