Retro 8 won't create Media Set on client computer?

I have a two computers and a NAS on my home network. The Retro 8 engine and the console are on a 2GHz dual-core Intel Macbook running 10.5.7; the other computer is an old G4 PowerMac running 10.3.9.

Retro 8 creates Media Sets fine on the Macbook and on the NAS, but won't let me add 'members' on the G4 (the client computer) to Media Sets.

So I can't use the G4 as a destination for backup?

Is this right, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks....

Retro 8 creates Media Sets fine on the Macbook and on the NAS, but won't let me add 'members' on the G4 ([color:purple]the client computer[/color]) to Media Sets

The Retrospect OS X Client software allows Retrospect to see remote machines as a Source for Backup and/or as a destination for Restore. The client software does not provide communication for acting as a backup device.

To use the G4's hard drive(s) to store Members of Disk Media Sets you'll need to enable file sharing and have Retrospect add them to its Sources list, just as you have with your network attached storage device.

Dave, Thank you for riding speedily to the rescue, now as ever.

All the hard drives in the G4 show up as Sources, and on one of them I successfully created a folder as a Favorite Folder -- it shows up too, as a source.

Then, clicking on Media Sets in the sidebar, I Add a Media Set (type: Disk) and it appears in the upper window. Great. Now I click the 'Members' tab in the 'detail section' (the lower window) and click on the '+' (just below the lower window). A pull-down "Add a new member" window appears.

Now here's the problem: neither the G4 client computer nor any of its hard drives are listed in the pull-down window, even though they are definitely Sources. The hard drives on the engine +console computer (my Macbook) show up fine, as does the NAS device.

I have the G4's File Sharing switched on and its firewall off. I wonder what I am doing wrong....? Sorry...

I have the G4's File Sharing switched on and its firewall off. I wonder what I am doing wrong....?

You are not sharing the client volume over the network from the client computer. I suggest that you read the appropriate help documents on the Apple support site regarding how to share a volume over the network.

This has nothing at all to do with Retrospect.

Russ

All the hard drives in the G4 show up as Sources

Items in the Sources list can be [color:purple]Local[/color], [color:green]Client[/color] or [color:blue]Shares[/color]. Each has a distinct icon, and there are buttons above the list area that can filter the list to display any of the three (or all).

Local and Shares can be used to store Members of a Disk Media Set (or the files of a File Media Set). Clients cannot.

Dave

SOLVED - Thank you Dave. I needed to create the share, on the client computer, in Retrospect, using the 'Add Share' button.

The protocol was:

afp://ComputerName.local/Folder1/folder2 etc

in case that helps others.

'folder 2' then shows up as a share that can be used as a Member of a Media Set, which enables client computers to become destinations for backups. Mission accomplished, thank you.