MacBook Pro failing to eject DVDs

I've recently moved from an iMac G5 to a MacBook Pro (13" 2.26GHz 4GB, Model id MacBookPro5,5), running 10.6.2.

Sometimes Retrospect (6.1.230, RDU 6.1.16.100) fails to eject a DVD. This happens most often on the last DVD of a Recycle backup run, when it completes the backup and is asking for the first DVD to verify. When I click on the Eject button in the dialog box, I can hear the DVD drive motor spin up and then spin down, but the eject motor doesn't run and the DVD doesn't eject.

If I Stop the backup, Retrospect writes the catalog, and than ejects the DVD as it exits.

It's because Retrospect can actually eject the DVD on exit that makes me suspect that the problem is in Retrospect and not in OS X or in the hardware. I haven't had this problem with Toast.

The DVD id string is "MATSHITADVD-R UJ-868", rev KB19.

Any ideas, anyone?

I've recently moved from an iMac G5 to a MacBook Pro (13" 2.26GHz 4GB, Model id MacBookPro5,5), running 10.6.2.

Sometimes Retrospect (6.1.230, RDU 6.1.16.100) fails to eject a DVD.

Any ideas, anyone?

Yep. Retrospect 6.x does not work on Snow Leopard. Unsupported. Broken. See the Retrospect Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

Unsupported Configurations

The following Retrospect configurations are unsupported with Snow Leopard, and they will remain unsupported in the future.

• EMC Retrospect 6.1 and earlier for Mac
  • EMC Retrospect 7.5 and earlier for Windows

If you want to run Retrospect on Snow Leopard, you might be interested in this article:

Support for Optical Drives in Retrospect 8

Optical support is disabled by default in Retrospect 8, but you can get limited functionality by following the instructions in that Knowledge Base article.

Russ

Thanks, Russ. I had read in posts on the forum that said that although unsupported, 6.1 did run on SnowLeopard. However, the limitations that the compatibility statement lists aren't ones that I want to have.

I can live with enabling/disabling the Retrospect 8 engine when I do a backup, so it looks like it's time to give version 8 a go.

I had read in posts on the forum that said that although unsupported' date=' 6.1 did run on SnowLeopard.[/quote']

Well, it's your data. No, it doesn't work. It may seem to run somewhat, but it doesn't work. But I'm not going to get into that debate.

Russ

I did say in the bit of the post that you cut out that I didn't like the limitations on backups in Retrospect 6 on SnowLeopard and that I was going to try version 8. Which I have done.

There were some problems with that, too, but I'll post about them in the forum area for v8.