7.7 Disaster Recovery of Windows 2000 Fails

I recently upgraded from Retrospect 7.0 MultiServer edition to 7.7 MultiServer edition which runs on a Windows Server 2000 SP3 machine. All existing backup routines are running without issue. Today I decided to try the new disaster recovery cd that comes with 7.7. I booted the disc, partitioned the drive of the test machine, and started the client restore session. From the Retrospect server, I added the awaiting client, then proceeded to restore it from a Windows 2000 workstation backup. The restore fails with no specific error other than 'incomplete'. I tried restoring one of our Windows 2000 Server snapshots; it failed in the same way. Then I decide to restore a Windows XP workstation snapshot... it ran without issue!

Please don't tell me that Retrospect 7.7 MultiServer Edition does not reliably backup Windows 2000 Servers! I'd rather that just the new Disaster Recovery CD doesn't support Windows 2000 restores and that I can still AT LEAST install windows 2000 on a machine, install the retrospect client, and then proceed to perform a restore of 'corresponding files only'.

Someone please clarify this for me. I decided to upgrade BECAUSE of the Vista/Win7/Server08 support; expecting Windows 2000 to still be supported. Especially since this is what I read on the website before purchasing:

***Retrospect for Windows Editions

Retrospect Multi Server 7.7 for Windows

Retrospect Multi Server Edition runs on Windows 7 and other Windows operating systems, and provides licenses to protect an unlimited number of networked servers. In addition, Multi Server protects unlimited Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Solaris desktops and notebooks, and now provides complete bare metal disaster recovery in the event of a catastrophic loss of data. Add-ons enable backup and restore of open files, SQL servers, and Exchange Servers.***

Notice the 'and other Windows operating systems' statement.

Help!

Hmm, I just checked http://www.retrospect.com/products/software/retroforwin/systemrequirements/

Retrospect Multi Server, Single Server, and Disk-to-Disk:

Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2008 R2/2003/2003 R2

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008/2003/2000/4.5

Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008/2003/2003 R2

Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows XP

Retrospect Small Business Server, Standard and Premium editions:

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008/2003/2000/4.5

Windows clients

Intel Pentium class processor or better (1.5 GHz recommended), including x86 and x64 hardware for 32-bit or 64-bit OS support

Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2008 R2/2003/2003 R2, 2000 Server (SP2 or later)

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008/2003/2000/4.5*

Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008/2003/2003 R2*

Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 Professional

Seems like for Retrospect server side only the SBS version of 2000 Server is supported. And as for Retrospect client side, it appears to be any 2000 Server version as far as it has SP2 and higher...

Yeah. I noticed that AFTER the purchase and installation (having gone by the advertisement page for 7.7). Anyway, it seems that only the new disaster recovery feature doesn't work for restoring Windows 2000 servers/workstations. I've just completed a successful restore of a Windows 2000 server by first loading win2k on the machine, installing the retroclient, and then restoring to the new client with the replace corresponding files option.

All is well. So I really don't understand how Retrospect backup running on a 2003 and up OS will resolve restoring a Win2k box using the new disaster recovery winPE tool.

Oh, well... just so that my restores work :)