Transfer Client to New Machine

Hi, we're running Retrospect 6.1 on our OSX 10.4 server. We have 4 clients running the latest client software.

One of our clients, however, upgraded to a new MacBook over Christmas. But they kept their file structure, especially regarding what we usually back-up, the same. Any files from the master 'documents' directory were copied over, as were most other important files.

So my questions are:

- Is there a way to 'update' the client in Retrospect so that it keeps on it's current incremental backup, instead of having to do a completely fresh backup on this client (where 98% of the data is already backed-up)?

- Will there be any issues we should watch for if just this one new client is running 10.6 (others are on 10.5, server is on 10.4).

- Any other tips to make the transfer go smoothly?

THANKS!

Hi, we're running Retrospect 6.1 on our OSX 10.4 server. We have 4 clients running the latest client software.

That's really not enough information. Is that "latest client software" supported for use with Retrospect 6.1? (Retrospect Client 6.2.234) Or "latest client software" supported for use with Retrospect 8.1? (Retrospect Client 6.3.028)

The question of what versions of Retrospect client work (and are supported) with Retrospect 6.1 and 8.1 has been asked of EMC support but a definitive answer has never been given. And, of course, there are no release notes for Retrospect Client for OSX 6.3.028 that answer this question, if that's the "latest client software" that you are using.

And what version of Retrospect 6.1? Version numbers (x.x.x) would be useful.

One of our clients, however, upgraded to a new MacBook over Christmas. But they kept their file structure, especially regarding what we usually back-up, the same. Any files from the master 'documents' directory were copied over, as were most other important files.

So my questions are:

- Is there a way to 'update' the client in Retrospect so that it keeps on it's current incremental backup, instead of having to do a completely fresh backup on this client (where 98% of the data is already backed-up)?

No. It's a new (different) volume with a different volume ID. Whether the previously-backed up files are backed up again will depend on your matching options (whether or not you back up a file that's already in the backup set, even if it's there from another client).

- Will there be any issues we should watch for if just this one new client is running 10.6 (others are on 10.5, server is on 10.4).

Yes. Retrospect 6.1 doesn't work with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6.x). That includes Snow Leopard clients. See the Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement.

Have fun backing up, but don't expect that the restore will work.

Russ

As Russ notes, there is no special way to ensure that Retrospect will not back up these files again. However, you will have the best chances if the matching options you've chosen in your backup script are the minimally-restrictive ones. This means saying YES to "match source files" and "don't add duplicates;" NO to "match only same location" and "use attribute modification date."

If the files' original creation and modification dates (as well as file sizes) were not preserved when they were transferred from the old machine, there is no way to prevent them from being backed up again that is both (a) practical, and (B) avoids the possibility of excluding other files that you actually want to have backed up.

OK, sorry for any lack of detail. We run Retrospect 6.1.230 on our Mac G5 OS X Server 10.4.11. And we use Retrospect Client 6.2.234 for our client machines (which are mostly running OS X 10.5.8).

However, you will have the best chances if the matching options you've chosen in your backup script are the minimally-restrictive ones. This means saying YES to "match source files" and "don't add duplicates;" NO to "match only same location" and "use attribute modification date."

OK, that was almost how our script was setup, except that the 'Use Attribute Modification Date' was checked. Can you help me understand exactly what this means, though, and what unchecking will do?

Yes. Retrospect 6.1 doesn't work with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6.x). That includes Snow Leopard clients

OK, I had read that document, but was unclear on whether it was mostly regarding running the Retrospect server on a Snow Leopard machine and not necessarily just the client app. If this is true, than we may be stuck having to upgrade.

- So if we're only backing up files, which mostly reside in the 'User/Documents' directory, and not applications or system files (as the Compatibility document seems to refer to), are we still out of luck backing up to Retrospect 6.1 on 10.4.11?

- If we absolutely have to upgrade everything to be able to backup this 1 new client machine, does the upgrade keep all existing catalogs, scripts, status', reports, etc.?? I would hate to start over with anything here, just not enough time right now.

- If we upgrade, does Retrospect 8 run well on OS X 10.4.11 Server?

THANKS in advance!

We run Retrospect 6.1.230 on our Mac G5 OS X Server 10.4.11.

- If we upgrade, does Retrospect 8 run well on OS X 10.4.11 Server?

Not if it's a PPC G5 as you have - the performance is MANY TIMES slower than Retrospect 6 on a PPC. See the EMC Retrospect 8.1 Read Me. It's a pig on PPC, and there are byte-swapping errors that cause crashing (even more crashing than on Intel architecture).

Now, if you upgrade your G5 xServe to a modern Intel xServe with lots of RAM and lots of cores, that's a different story. Then it will crash very quickly.

Russ

Not if it's a PPC G5 as you have - the performance is MANY TIMES slower than Retrospect 6 on a PPC. See the EMC Retrospect 8.1 Read Me. It's a pig on PPC, and there are byte-swapping errors that cause crashing (even more crashing than on Intel architecture).

Now, if you upgrade your G5 xServe to a modern Intel xServe with lots of RAM and lots of cores, that's a different story. Then it will crash very quickly.

Well that sounds awesome, fun and expensive! We'll order everything tomorrow...

If this is all true, we may have to just use Time Machine or a cloning app to backup this one computer now. Don't really need the added expense, headache, and hassle right now just to backup some basic documents with Retrospect.

It's much more important for Retrospect to keep a good, clean, well-working backup of our server than anything else.

OK, that was almost how our script was setup, except that the 'Use Attribute Modification Date' was checked. Can you help me understand exactly what this means, though, and what unchecking will do?

If Access Control Lists (ACLs) or other extended attributes are set up on one or more of your machines, Retrospect will want to back up the files anytime this metadata has changed. This is good if you are actually using the ACLs or other metadata. However, if ACLs are enabled by default and you are not not actually using them, you may be backing up your files more often than necessary.

So if we're only backing up files, which mostly reside in the 'User/Documents' directory, and not applications or system files (as the Compatibility document seems to refer to), are we still out of luck backing up to Retrospect 6.1 on 10.4.11

This may depend on how brave (or reckless) you are. One user reported success in backing up client files for clients running Snow Leopard. To me, "unsupported" means "you're on your own." If you did want to try this, I would perform a whole series of test backups and restores involving all your important file types in various sizes. If you are able to do so successfully, this may mean that such backups will work in your particular present setup. Me, if the tests panned out, I'd then have reasonable comfort backing up, say, users mp3s; for enterprise-sensitive data, not so much.

If we absolutely have to upgrade everything to be able to backup this 1 new client machine, does the upgrade keep all existing catalogs, scripts, status', reports, etc.?? I would hate to start over with anything here, just not enough time right now.

When introduced, Retrospect 8 did not have any ability to import anything from Retrospect 6.1. This ability was supposed to be added "eventually," but to my knowledge "eventually" hasn't happened yet.