disk full error when disk not full

macwino

I am getting the following error message:

Trouble writing media: [name of my File Backup]

error -1115 (disk full)

The hard drive on which the File Backup Set is located, however, has over 130 GB of free space. I get this error about every 5 backups and have to redo the entire backup from scratch rather than incrementally to make sure I've got a good back. I also lose my historical backup when I have to do this. Why do I get this error when the disk is no where near full? I have 3 separate File Backup Sets on this drive. Once I get the error for one of the sets, I thereafter get it for the other 2 as well. Thus I have to redo all 3 from scratch.

I am running Retrospect v7.6.123 on Windows Vista 64.

Thanks,

Robert

Well, there are 2 machines that are backed up and System Restore is enabled on both. The backup is made to an external drive (and I've tried at least 4 different 500 GB external drives) and System Restore doesn't apply to these external drives. This error occurs after perhaps 10-15 backup cycles and occurs on every external drive I've tried.

Robert

The disks have been formatted in 2 ways. The problem occurs either way. I used to use a single backup disk for both my Mac and PCs. It was formatted for a Mac and then could be read and written to by a PC using special software. After getting this disk full error, I started using a dedicated NTSF disk for the PCs. But I still got the error.

I've not tried using something other than a File Backup. I'll look into it, but if I recall correctly, this will mean that I can't place anything else on the drive. If that's the case, this is a problem, for I often use my Retrospect backup drives as a temp backup while working on a project.

Thanks for the input.

Robert

If you define a disk backup set on an external drive it doesn't mean you can't use the disk for anything else. The backup is put in a folder called Retrospect. You can put any other data on the disk at the same time.

When you create the disk set it even allows you to define a maximum percentage of the drive Retrospect is allowed to use.

Marc