Scripted backup fails on Win2000

I'm using Express on a Sony Vaio running Windows 2000. Manual incremental backup to a backup set held on a local NT server works just fine. I have set up a daily backup schedule, but it always fails. Retrospect starts itself on time, shows the countdown to backup, but then always fails with the same messages:

Can't access backup set Texas backup set, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

3/14/2002 12:00:30 PM: Execution incomplete

TFileLoc::GetAttributes: UGetFileAttributes failed, \\texas\lodge\Texas backup set.rbf, winerr 86, error -1017

TFolderLoc::GetAttributes: UGetFileAttributes failed, \\texas\lodge, winerr 86, error -1017

TFile::Open: UCreateFile failed, \\texas\lodge\Texas backup set.rbf, winerr 86, error -1017

TFileLoc::GetAttributes: UGetFileAttributes failed, \\texas\lodge\Texas backup set.rbf, winerr 86, error -1017

TFolderLoc::GetAttributes: UGetFileAttributes failed, \\texas\lodge, winerr 86, error -1017

TFile::Open: UCreateFile failed, \\texas\lodge\Texas backup set.rbf, winerr 86, error -1017

Quit at 3/14/2002 12:00 PM

When I run exactly the same backup manually, it works. Every time.

So, what's the difference between unattended automated backup and manual backup? "Texas backup set" is encrypted, but I have checked its properties and it says that the password is saved for scripted access. I clicked the "Automatic login" box and entered the security information required just in case that was the problem. If I do a Media Check, it says that everything is fine. But when the scripted backup time rolls around, it fails with the messages above.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Mathew

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably receiving error -1017 when running automatically because the Retrospect Launcher service (the service that allows Retrospect to autolaunch) is configured to log in as a user that does not have access to this network volume.

I've included the relevant part of the Retrospect User's Guide which has instructions on how to work around this:

Windows 2000/XP

1. Open the Services Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the “Log On As” section select This Account. Local System will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change “LocalSystem” to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields.

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

Archived