Retrospect Engine/Console can't see Client

kyeoh

I'm setting up Retrospect 8.1.626 on a MBP running OS X 10.6.2. I have Retrospect Client 6.3.027 running on another MBP with OS X 10.6.2. The router is a Time Capsule.

In setting this up, I can't get the Console/Engine to see the Client. I've clicked Sources -> Add, but then the spinning clockface comes on & no client shows up. I can Add Source Directly, but I'd rather not lock my Client to a particular IP address since it sometimes connects via Airport & sometimes via Ethernet (hence with different static or DHCP-reserved IP addresses).

All firewalls are off for the purposes of trying to get this to work. The client computer has been connected via Airport & Ethernet. The Engine computer is via Airport. The Client software has been deleted & reinstalled. The computers have been restarted. All no luck.

I remember having this issue with Retrospect 6 & I think it was solved by putting the client onto Ethernet for the initial access. Doesn't seem to be working now.

Anyone else seen this?

Try turning the console off and then on, and see if the clients are then "seen" via multicast. That's worked for me at times. Clients not being "seen" easily is, I hope, one of the bugs squashed in the next release. If not, try giving the client a fixed address, and then adding the client by address.

Thanks. Tried the console thing, if you mean quitting it then restarting. Also tried restarting both involved machines. In the end, I gave the client computer a fixed IP address via a DHCP reserved table & am connecting to it using this. However, if the client computer connects via Ethernet rather than Airport to the network, it gets a different DHCP-allocated IP address & can't be found.

Of course, the alternative is to ignore DHCP & set the client computer up with a manually-allocated IP address, but this requires the user to set the computer location manually everytime she enters or leaves this particular network... Quite frankly, it's not going to happen & I'm going to keep getting calls asking why the computer can't connect to one network or another.