Bad backup set header found

Hi,

I have a trouble with a SCSI LTO-3 HH Quantum and Retrospect 6 for MAc, Leopard on G5, when I try to restore or rebuild the catalog from the cartridge, appears a message with the following: trouble in Retrospect, assertion check at "elem.c-918" always happens with the same cartbridge and the logs errors are:

Executing Recatalog at 16/12/2009 11:28 To backup set CINTA RC 02… Bad backup set header found (0x57049da0 at 327.274.969). Trouble reading: “1-CINTA RC 02†(0), error 205 (lost access to storage medium). Internal consistency check failed: Assertion check at "elem.c-918" 16/12/2009 16:46:58: Execution incomplete. Completed: 45631 files, 313,0 GB Performance: 1680,0 MB/minute Duration: 03:10:46

Executing Recatalog at 21/12/2009 13:09 To backup set CINTA RC 02… Bad backup set header found (0x57049da0 at 327.274.969). Internal consistency check failed: Assertion check at "elem.c-918" 21/12/2009 15:43:13: Execution incomplete. Completed: 45633 files, 314,1 GB Performance: 2094,2 MB/minute Duration: 02:33:34 Quit at 21/12/2009 15:44

I have installed the latest drivers and upgrades of both, with other cartridge works fine. Could anybody help me with this issue? Is it possible to restore the media? I can´t to restore anything from it and I have very important media inside.

Why could it be happening? I think the cartridge is damaged for some reason.

Thanks a lot.

Several things.

I have installed the latest drivers and upgrades of both

(1) Could you please provide the exact version of Retrospect (6.x.x) and Retrospect Driver Update (x.x.x.x) ?

These user-to-user support forum posts last for years, and the answers that we (other users) provide for you are not just for your benefit, but for the benefit of others having the same problem. Years (or months) from now, when someone searches for a solution and finds this thread, they will not have a clue what the "latest" version was at the time you made your post, and I have seen many instances where a poster insisted that he/she had the "latest" but later, after wasting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, revealed that it wasn't the "latest" version, and that the bug had been fixed by the "latest" version.

(2) It's not clear whether you are trying to rebuild the catalog from scratch or whether you are trying to "update" an existing catalog. Which are you trying to do? Try moving the bad catalog to the Desktop (or somewhere that Retrospect can't find it) and then rebuild the catalog from scratch.

Is it possible to restore the media

(3) It's not possible to restore without the catalog. The Retrospect backup set is a database, and the catalog is an index into that database, telling where everything is. You can't restore without a catalog.

I can´t to restore anything from it and I have very important media inside.

Why could it be happening? I think the cartridge is damaged for some reason.

Well, if the cartridge is damaged, you may be out of luck. Just use your alternate backup set. You do have an alternate backup set, don't you?

Russ

Hi Russ,

I´m sorry. The Retrospect version is 6.1.230 and the driver update ver. is 6.1.16.100. The error happens when I try to rebuild the catalog from the tape, not updating the catalog. I don´t have any other catalog file from this cartridge and I don´t know how to rebuild the catalog again. There aren´t more alternate backups set.... Another thing, I tried to verify the cartridge and it fails too....

Thanks a lot!!

Ok, then you truly do have the "latest" released versions.

It's a little unclear to me how you are using the term "cartridge". The LTO-3 backup set will be a group of tape "members".

If only one of the tapes (members) is bad, you could mark that member "missing" and perhaps the data you need is on the remaining members, and the rebuilt catalog could reflect what is actually there.

Sounds to me like you have a bad tape (or tapes). If so, you need to get past the "rebuild catalog" point so that Retrospect knows what is where on the tape(s). If you can't do that, well, the data may be lost.

Russ