Retrospect doesn't update library inventory

I use Retrospect's GUI to move a tape, e.g. from slot 22 to slot 1.

The window updates after a minute, reporting slot 1 is now full... and slot 22 still contains the same tape!

The library's own interface shows slot 22 is empty.

A "scan" under Device Status doesn't change anything.

I can't issue a Scan Selected command to the respective magazine because it returns error 119 - library has no slots available (catch 22...)

The only thing that works is quitting Retrospect and relaunching.

Any thoughts?

Retrospect 6.1.230

Driver Update 6.1.16.100

Mac OS X Server 10.5.8

Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon, 4GB RAM

Tandberg StorageLibrary T24 with IBM HH LTO4 SCSI drive, latest firmware for both.

(1) Are your tapes barcoded?

(2) I may be wrong, but I believe that Retrospect simply reports what is in the slots as reported by the autoloader. Have you tried Exabyte's (Tandberg's) libtool diagnostic to see what it reports?

(3) I tried your same test using our Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u PacketLoader (SCSI) with Ethernet admin interface, and did not get your results. On our drive/autoloader, you can't move from one slot to another, but you can if you do it via the drive - drag tape to drive, then drag tape to another slot. Worked as expected - export slot 1 (so that slot is empty), drag slot 9 to drive (slot 9 shows as "(in drive)", slot 1 shows as "(empty)"), drag tape in drive to slot 1, slot 9 shows as empty, slot 1 shows with proper tape.

But our tapes are barcoded.

Candidly, this may be one of those "don't do that" situations with your drive. Development on Retrospect 6.x ceased long ago. Don't expect any bugs to be fixed on Retrospect 6.

Russ

Hi Russ, thanks for the fast reply.

1. Yes they are barcoded.

2. As said, when I examine the inventory via the library's own interface (front panel or ethernet/web GUI) I see the correct updated information.

3. Going through the drive first might indeed circumvent this, if this is indeed a 'hopeless bug'. Given what I've heard so far about version 8, I have no intention to upgrade...