proactive script doesn't do one client

impala

I can do a manual backup of this client no problem. But the proactive script refuses to do it. The status is usually "(not yet determined)" . At the same time the client will show up with a green check in the multicast list of available sources. In the windows firewall log I can see this cycle: One UDP connection opened to the server, followed by one TCP inbound connection which is closed after about 3 seconds. immediately followed by another opened UDP connection; immediately followed by one TCP inbound connection; which again is closed after about 3 seconds. About 15 seconds later both UDP connections are closed. About a minute and a half later this cycle repeats.

Right now status is "Ready for backup" but it isn't doing it. It has a scheduled time of 4 hours ago.

I have other similar clients that are working OK. These are mostly Windows notebooks, and the problem one is XP Pro running client 7.6.107. Retrospect server is 8.1.626

I have reinstalled the client; removed it as a client; then added it as a new client. no change.

any ideas?

When the firewall is off the proactive backup still does not run.

I observed the following sequence of messages in the status window (on the client):

Ready

Connected

In use by (server) for preparing....

Ready

Connected

In use by (server) for proactive1

Ready

This would seem to correspond to the inbound tcp connections in the firewall log.

Are this XP client and the Retrospect server on the same subnet?

Is there any intervening hardware firewall, router, etc., between the two? I'm just wondering if some sort of a firewall rule is resetting the connection, etc.

Anything different between this non-working client and the other working clients?

This is a real head scratcher.

Russ

yes, all my clients are on the same subnet as the server.

There is a managed cisco switch between them. I have no control over the switch.

Nothing different that I can tell. I've tried it using a different network port with the same result.

I ran msconfig and disabled all the non-microsoft services and startup processes except for the retrospect client, and the behavior persisted.

I uninstalled client 7.6.107, renamed the system, rebooted, installed the new client 7.7.106. On the server I removed the old client and added it as a new client. same behavior.

I don't know what else to try.

The truly odd part is that a manual backup works to this client.

I suggest that you contact Retrospect support, see if they can suggest anything.

Contact Retrospect Support

This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that can be resolved in these user-to-user forums, and you seem to be doing all the right things.

Only bit of troubleshooting I could suggest is to put that client on a hub or unmanaged switch on the same wire with the Retrospect server, so as to remove the Cisco managed switch from the equation for troubleshooting purposes, but you may not have that option. Or you may want to do some packet capture at the XP client and at the Retrospect server to see the chatting that is happening.

Just as a thought, there isn't anything funny about that client's local time, is there?

Russ