principal question: NEEDS MEDIA

pfauland

Dear all,

I have a principal question about this media size topic:

my media set capacity is set to 500 GB. 163 GB is used, 342 GB free. The actual free space on the NAS drive is 207 GB. Could this explain the "needs media" problem I still have ? Reducing the set size in order to match the real free space also did not solve the problem. I can not backup as I always get NEEDS MEDIA messages ....

Cheers

Peter

I can not backup as I always get NEEDS MEDIA messages ....

It may be something as simple as a unix volume naming conflict.

Compare:

[color:purple]Media Sets->YourMediaSet->Members(Tab)->Location(column)[/color]

against:

[color:purple]Sources->VolumeHousingMediaSetMemberAbove->Path(Overview section)[/color]

Is the Volume name shown in the two areas _exactly_ the same? No extraneous "-1" on either of them?

Dave

Dear Dave,

Wow. I think you found something here .... Checking this, I do have a "-1" and even a "-2" problem. The point is, I have no idea, how this happened !? on my NAS I have a folder /Backup, That's it.

Another thing, that now appears "more than strange" is, that I do see my NAS twice in finder ! Once as "nas" and once as "NAS(AFP)" ...

Any proposal, how I could get rid of these "-x" guys ??

Thanks a lot for your help !

Peter

I found something: The NAS was activated both via "Microsoft Networking" AND "Apple Networking". So I disabled the first option and now I see NAS in finder only as NAS(AFP). BUT, the path is still "/Volumes/Backup-2" .... Is there any thing I can do, to see just "/Volumes/Backup" ?

Thanks again !!

UPDATE :

I tried to figure out what's going on here:

using a terminal and logging on as ROOT I see the following :

0 drwx------@ 10 root wheel 296 15 Nov 11:12 Backup

0 drwx------@ 10 root wheel 296 15 Nov 11:12 Backup-1

while in the Finder I see /Volumes/Backup-2 for my folder "Backup" on NAS(AFP).

While I do see now, where the problem is coming from, I have no idea how to fix it ....

Edited by Guest
after some further investigation ...

I found something: The NAS was activated both via "Microsoft Networking" AND "Apple Networking". So I disabled the first option and now I see NAS in finder only as NAS(AFP). BUT, the path is still "/Volumes/Backup-2" .... Is there any thing I can do, to see just "/Volumes/Backup" ?

Thanks again !!

UPDATE :

I tried to figure out what's going on here:

using a terminal and logging on as ROOT I see the following :

0 drwx------@ 10 root wheel 296 15 Nov 11:12 Backup

0 drwx------@ 10 root wheel 296 15 Nov 11:12 Backup-1

while in the Finder I see /Volumes/Backup-2 for my folder "Backup" on NAS(AFP).

While I do see now, where the problem is coming from, I have no idea how to fix it ....

[color:red]UPDATE 2: How can I have a uniform naming of the folder /volumes/Backup/ ?? I am sure, this is the first step to use Retrospect. Strange, that all other applications do not really care ...[/color]

The Finder adds the "-1" suffix when a volume is already mounted with the prefix. It's simply so that a mount point can exist for the mounting, and it's a "feature" (strength) of Unix that volumes and devices are mounted on filesystem mount points.

By default, Mac OS X mounts all volumes in /Volumes.

How to get rid of the extraneous stuff?

One way would be to bring the computer up in Single User Mode (where nothing is mounted except for the boot volume ("/")), and then delete the contents of /Volumes and then reboot. There are other ways, but it involves a lot of Terminal use, and there is greater possibility for grave disorder.

Russ

The Finder adds the "-1" suffix
Russ, with all due respect (as you know this stuff about a hundred times better the I do) isn't it OS X/Darwin that's naming the mounts and not Finder.app?

If /Volumes/Foo/ already exists then any process, not just Finder.app, that mounts that same volume again (as another user) will get /volumes/Foo-1/ , no?

In fact, the most obvious cause of all of this is one process (say, Finder) has mounted the volume. Then the user asks Retrospect to mount the same volume. Retrospect is given Foo-1, and dutifully notes that path for future use of that Source (or, I suppose, even catalog location).

In the short term, easiest thing to do is restart the machine, then launch Retrospect and edit the Members to reflect /Volumes/Foo/ as the correct path.

Long term, don't mount any volume named Foo from any other process (ie don't mount the volume in the Finder), allowing Retrospect to be the one-and-only process with access to that volume (on the engine host machine).

Use the "mount" command in Terminal to see what's mounted by whom and what everything is named.

Dave

How to get rid of the extraneous stuff?

One way would be to bring the computer up in Single User Mode (where nothing is mounted except for the boot volume ("/")), and then delete the contents of /Volumes and then reboot.

Russ

... This would recreate the volumes correctly I suppose !? Right now I see /Backup /Backup-1 and /Backup-2 together with /Macintosh HD. So I would delete all these four entries ???

In the short term, easiest thing to do is restart the machine, then launch Retrospect and edit the Members to reflect /Volumes/Foo/ as the correct path.

I went to "Media Sets", clicked on my mediaset, then on the pencil ... Here I get /Backup and /Backup-3 listed while /Backup-2 is the folder listed if I check in the Finder. Trying to add this one ended up with "/Backup-4" and "/Backup-5" as seen with mount in a terminal ...

Puuuuhhhh ....

I don't understand, why this was NEVER any problem with the old version .... ????

[color:green]Would "umount" of all the unwanted-ones be a solution ?[/color]

Edited by Guest

The Finder adds the "-1" suffix

Russ, with all due respect (as you know this stuff about a hundred times better the I do) isn't it OS X/Darwin that's naming the mounts and not Finder.app?

Hard to answer that.

Yes, I was being sloppy, answering without figuring out how the mount was done.

The OS usually gives an error if you try to mount on top of a mount point where something is already mounted, and just barfs. The Finder (GUI) is a bit more tolerant, and does the maintenance of the Desktop paradigm (and I loosely include the network browser, etc., in the bucket with the Finder). I consider the OS/Darwin as the syscall interface to the mount() syscall. Note that the mount() syscall only returns success / error, and does not return the name of the mount point it decided to use, because it will only use the mount point passed in by the syscall:

mount() syscall - manual section 2

To really answer where this "-1" occurred, I would need to know exactly how the mount points appeared on the desktop.

Russ