restoring mac client data to PC

:confused: A volume on one of our mac clients crashed. I'd like to restore the volume to a windows server, but the the file names contain all sorts of illegal characters ie. "/\|?,:; etc. Do these restored files get renamed on the fly? Are the those files ignored? Most of the files are stored in folders with date names like "10/13/2009". Would restoring to a mac volume make a difference?

:confused: Thanks for your quick response, But I'm not sure if this is good or bad news. If a folder is renamed from "10/13/09" to "10-13-09" I can live with that. If, on the other hand, the contents of that folder won't launch in the app it was created in, I've got a big problem and i'll need a new strategy.

Only way you are going to be able to ensure "launch in the app it was created in" is to restore to Mac. There are some Finder databases and metadata that have to get updated to make that association.

Now, if this client is Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6.x), all of that program creator / type code stuff was broken by that OS release, and it's not a Retrospect issue. Discussion of that point is beyond the scope of these forums.

Russ