Unscripted Execution

Running Retrospect 6.0.126 on G5 Xserve OS 10.3.9 Server

On occasion Retrospect "decides" to do a a full backup rather than in incremental. This happens for no reason and without warning. There is no pattern like "every 6 weeks," it's totally random. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Curt

Sure it's not something like daylight savings time change?

Have you considered updating to 6.1.230 (the last release of Retrospect 6.x) (and updating the RDU, too)? Many bugs were fixed. The update is here, and it was free for 6.0 users:

Retrospect 6.1 updates

However, that update will make your 6.0 backup sets read-only. See the release notes.

Russ

Sorry, I posted the wrong version of Retrospect that I am using. It's 6.1.126 not 6.0.126. No, it is not Daylight Saving Time issue, the occurrences are so random and they only started recently (within the past year). Most recent time was Tuesday of this week. The time before that was in mid August and the time before that was in February. I have archives going back to 2003 and nothing like this has ever happened.

Curt

Well, that really sounds like it might be Daylight Savings Time related. Note that you are running 10.3.9, which was well before the changes to the Daylight Savings Time algorithm. If the timestamp gets confused on older versions of Mac OS and Retrospect, it thinks that it's a new volume.

Are you running a local timeserver? How does your xServe get its time updates?

Note also that, because you've got a G5 xServe, you are right at the point where the battery backup may be failing, which can affect the time. Been there, done that.

Russ

Replace the motherboard battery on the xServe:

xServe G5 battery replacement

Also, someone didn't happen to change the volume name or volume size by accident, did they? If the volume information changes, Retrospect can think it's a different volume.

Sorry, I posted the wrong version of Retrospect that I am using. It's 6.1.126

You still might want to consider the update to 6.1.230.

Russ

Edited by Guest