Retrospect 8 Mac Clients SLOW SLOW

We have a small network of 3 Intel MacPro's, 1 Intel iMac and 4 Intel MacBook Pro's. The MacPro that we have Retrospect 8.1 Build 622 installed on has 2 3.2 Ghz Quad Core Xeon CPU's and 24Gb of RAM. The rest have Retrospect Client 6.3.027 installed. Each of the MacPro's have four internal hard drives. All of the computers are connected via a gigabit network. There are also PC's on the same network.

The "Server" MacPro is using a RocketRaid 2322 card with an external SATA interface to which we are trying to backup to.

Retrospect only works well when the "Server" MacPro is backing up one if it's internal drives. It runs at 2Gb/min. That would seem to rule out a conflict with the RAID card and drivers. If I try to backup any of the Clients the speed is no faster than 125Mb/min and generally slow to 55Mb/min. This would mean a backup of a client MacPro's 4 drives would take almost a week to do. Not good.

Also the documentation states that you can run multiple backups at the same time something we have not been able to do. We use Genie Backup Manager Pro on the PC side of the network and it will run 20 instances of itself and works great.

I have tried everything I found here on the forum and in the knowledgebase to try and boost the speed including changing the Nice value in the plist file to -20. It had little or no impact.

I am at wits end. Currently we are using Chronosync to backup the system drives of the Macs daily but that leaves the other 3 drives on the Mac Pros without a backup.

The RAID backup disks are removable. There are three sets of these RAID disks numbered 1 to 3. On the first Friday of the month set 1 is used on the second Friday of the month set 2 and so on. On the fourth Friday of the month another set is used that is then taken offsite for storage.

Sorry for the long post. My questions then are what can I do or how long is it going to take to get a fix for the client speed issue. The second question is given the backup configuration we are using what is the best way to backup these computers.?

Edited by Guest