Assertion check type.c-2393

Hello !

As we are "forced" to stay with 6.1 migrated to new hardware everything is nearly working as on the old configuration.

While one script was running right after the migration for nearly 2 weeks now I got yesterday and today the error message:

Internal consistency check failed.

Assertion check at "type.c-2393".

After Retrospect closed I can run the script manually and it runs fine.

Does anybody know, what this error means and what to do ?

Hi Russ,

Intel XServe 2.26 Quadcore, 6GB RAM, 3HDDs, ATTO UL5D, Quantum SuperLoader3 16-Slots LTO3

OS X Server 10.5.8

Retrospect 6.1.126

RDU 6.1.9.102

Clients mixed, 10.3 server, 10.5 clients, all clients run Retrospect client 6.1.130

ACLs have been disabled already right after installation.

After my testing with the "new" 8.1 on the server I didn´t dare to install the latest 6.1 update, because I was happy to got everything setup properly as it was before.

Maybe the latest update for 8.1 brings some faith in Retrospect back, but I really don´t like to update all clients to a 8.1 compatible client just to see, that the update again is not that what was promised.

After my testing with the "new" 8.1 on the server I didn´t dare to install the latest 6.1 update, because I was happy to got everything setup properly as it was before.

Retrospect 6.1 is quite mature and stable if you install the last-released RDU and Retrospect here:

Retrospect 6 updates

Don't confuse Retrospect 8.1 instability or code with Retrospect 6.1. They are completely different animals, based on a different code base.

Trust me on this one, you really need the updated Retrospect 6.1 and RDU. Do it. If you still have a problem, post back. All of your other stuff is right (ACLs disabled, right HBA card, etc.).

Russ

Hi Russ,

here are my findings so far.

Update of Retrospect 6.1 to latest version incl. most recent RDU. Scripts over weekend went fine and - at least for my impression - faster.

The script which raised the error was running the first time today. It went also fine and about 10% faster than before, may be also result of client updates to latest 6.1 client version.

So far 6.1 seems now to run quiet well, except for one script which crashed Retrospect immediately after launch. It is the backup of the backup server itself. Not even creating a new backup set and script helps.

Now I need to wait for 8.1 to become mature or search for a different solution. 6.1 can only be the interim solution because the timeframe for backup gets smaller and the new functionality of 8.1 (at least on paper) should be fine, but isn´t in a production environment. Nevertheless I will give it a try and check for copy operation to local disc, something like a hand-made disc-to-disc-to-tape.

Thank you for your help

So far 6.1 seems now to run quiet well, except for one script which crashed Retrospect immediately after launch. It is the backup of the backup server itself. Not even creating a new backup set and script helps.

Well, that's very odd.

There are two avenues of attack for this. The problem is either something odd on the server disk (you indicate that you have Mac OS Server 10.5.8 on an Intel xServe 2.26 GHz machine), or else you've got something corrupt in Retrospect's preferences.

To see if it's the preferences, quit Retrospect, move the file:

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Retro.Config (6.0)

to the desktop (so Retrospect won't find it, and so you can move it back)

Restart Retrospect, re-enter your license, etc., information, reconfigure Retrospect (remember the ACL disable), create a script to back up your server to a new backup set. If that works, sadly, what you have to do is to recreate the whole mess of scripts. There isn't any way to export / import scripts. Many have asked.

If it still crashes, then the problem isn't with the preferences, but with something on the server's disks, so move the preferences back (while Retrospect is not running).

Attack that by defining "Subvolumes" to back up portions of your server's disks. For example, try the users, then other stuff, etc.

Using that approach, you can narrow down things to the problematic area.

See if that helps.

Russ

Dear Russ,

yes, that would have been my way, too. Unfortunately time is quiet small at the moment. So my current workaround is - as I have a lot of unnecessary disk space - to CCC the backup server and to backup that disc. That runs well.

I mean basically the purpose is, to quickly be able to reengage the backup server in case of failure. And that is assured ... basically double because of the the CCC.

But I still have the hope, that version 8.X some time will be what we really need. Until then I will give BRU a test phase and evalute other solutions. I know, that version 8 is a complete new development, but I don´t want to be the productive tester as I was a couple of times with the "new" version 6 when it was announced. It was quiet similar.

Until then I will give BRU a test phase and evalute other solutions.

Well, BRU is having its issues, too. Its GUI console has real problems. It's usable from CLI but not really from the GUI console. Note that Tolis Group closed down their support forums last year because the outcry from users was so great about issues with the product.

And the restore model is not as good as Retrospect's is (if/when Retrospect 8.1 becomes reliable and more complete, sufficient for production use).

It's also easy to overwrite backups by accident with BRU. The tape labeling is not checked as well as Retrospect does it.

Russ