Dup across network???

vandellen

I have two PCs connected by a wired Ethernet in a peer-to-peer configuration. I'd like to Duplicate one folder on one PC on the other for backup. Working on the computer where the folder is located, I defined the local folder and a folder on the remote PC to be "subvolumes" in Express. When I run an Immediate Duplicate job with the local folder as the Source and the folder on the remote PC as the Destination, the status window indicates that Express is copying the files as I'd expect.

If I then run the same Immediate Duplicate job again, Express says it needs to re-copy some of the files even though there haven't been any changes to them either on the local or remote systems. No matter how many times I re-run the job, it keeps wanting to copy the same files every time.

Verification is turned on. No error messages are displayed and there are none in the Log. I assume that means that Retrospect thought the local and remote files agreed right after it copied them.

The sizes, creation, modification and last accessed dates are the same for the local and remote folders according to Explorer.

If I copy the files that Express thinks it needs to recopy from the local folder to the remote folder with Explorer, Express quits trying to recopy them.

If I Duplicate the same local folder to another local folder, Retrospect doesn't try to re-copy any files until I change them so I think I'm setting the job up correctly. It seems to be something about working over the network that's causing the trouble.

Has anyone else seen this sort of problem?

Has anyone gotten Duplicate to work over a network successfully?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Archived