dell autoloader not auto loading

Hi,

I'm using a Dell Poweredge server attached to a Dell Powervault DLT Autoloader (7 tapes).

I'm trying to do an immediate backup to a backupset called "TapeSet6." I erased and named all the tapes in the magazine "N-TapeSet6" where N is 1-7. When I proceeded to execute, Retrospect found the first tape, but when space on that one ran out, it couldn't locate the next one. I got the new media dialog asking for a tape which would be called "2-TapeSet6," the exact name the second tape already had. Is there some setting that I haven't set correctly? According to the manual it seems as though it should proceed to the next erased tape, regardless of the name.

Thanks,

bye.

When Retrospect is performing an immediate backup, it's in "interactive" mode, which will always require user intervention to select new tapes, even if you have a magazine full of appropriate tapes.

To have Retrospect automatically access the library and use tapes during an immediate backup, once the backup commences, go up to the Control menu and choose "run unattended". This will cause Retrospect to behave as if it was an automated execution, and will happily grab tapes from the magazine without user intervention.

Please provide device information. While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Environment and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive and your loader.

In reply to:

Autoloading of sequentially-named or even blank DLT tape succeeds but backup script fails after asking for next tape, even after Preferences set to 'minimum erasure confirmation' and 'automatic skip to blank media' are set.

This appears to be a contradiction - in what context do you mean Autoloading of sequentially-named or even blank DLT tape succeeds? When is Retrospect autoloading tapes? During a library scan? During a backup?

What happens when Retrospect tries to span tapes? Does it just stop or does it scan the magazine looking for an appropriate tape? Do the tape names show up in device window?

Archived