Backup speed, where is the holdup?

I need to get my backups down as quickly as possible. Is Retrospect 6 Mac's backup speed limited to:

-Speed of the computer

-Speed of the network connection

-Interface to backup media

I use compression, if getting a faster computer means faster backups and restores, a new system it is! I just had to do a 146GB restore from hard drive and it took 16hrs.

My setup:

OSX 10.4

Dual 2GHz G5 Mac Pro

2GB RAM

Gigabit network

Wiebetech FW400 ATA HD enclosures

Retrospect 6

I need to get my backups down as quickly as possible. Is Retrospect 6 Mac's backup speed limited to:

-Speed of the computer

-Speed of the network connection

-Interface to backup media

Yes. Also, Retrospect 6 is single-threaded. Retrospect 8 is multi-threaded, so you can run multiple backups in parallel (as long as resources don't compete), but not on the computer you've got. You will see much slower performance with Retrospect 8 on a PPC.

I use compression, if getting a faster computer means faster backups and restores, a new system it is!

I just had to do a 146GB restore from hard drive and it took 16hrs.

My setup:

OSX 10.4

Dual 2GHz G5 Mac Pro

2GB RAM

Gigabit network

Wiebetech FW400 ATA HD enclosures

Retrospect 6

You've got a slow interface (Firewire 400) to the disk drive. If multiple drives are on the same Firewire controller, that's slowing things down more.

Also, your RAM is low. Retrospect needs lots of RAM to do the sorting/matching with the catalog, especially with lots of files. Your network is probably not the issue if clients are also GigE.

Russ