Net Slowdown after 10.5.8 Update?

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic slowdown in network backups or archiving since updating from OS X 10.5.7 to 10.5.8? Running Retrospect Backup 6.1.230 on a G5 and backing up a G5 client that's running Retrospect Client 6.2.234. Performance is only about 1/4 as fast as before our OS upgrades to 10.5.8. Plus, it affects our internet speed as well during the backup... slows to a crawl.

Since you ask, I also have seen a stark slowdown recently, and that's why I'm here, looking for answers. However, I have not updated to 10.5.8; my server is still running on top of 10.5.7. Copy times appear to take the same amount of time as always, but scanning times have increased to the neighborhood of 6 times longer than normal.

Here are the respective versions of what I'm running:

Retrospect Server: 6.1.230

Retrospect Clients: 6.1.130 (mostly) and 6.3.019 (two Retrospect 8 clients, compatible with Server 6)

OS X Server: 10.5.7

Retrospect 8 Server: 8.1 (build 150)

Yes, I'm running 6 & 8 side-by-side, but I did read that this is supported. 8 Has been installed for months now without a problem. Slow scanning only began on Monday 8/24/09, according to my log. I have no record of changes to my configuration over the weekend, so I'm at a loss. My network team confirmed that all was well on that side of the equation.

I'm interested to hear more about your own situation, buddyjack2.

The G5 that runs Retrospect 6.1.230 has "regular" Mac Leopard OS installed. The G5 that runs Retrospect Client 6.2.234 is our file server, and so it has Mac Leopard Server as its OS. I updated both to 10.5.8 probably on 8/7/09, a couple of days after Apple released the software. We have an Ethernet 10/100 network of 14 Macs and 2 PCs. Typically I run a Retrospect archive script from the workstation G5 and copy off about 24 Gb from our file server G5 onto three Dual-Layer DVDs every 2 to 3 weeks just to free up some space on the server. I do this over the network because the dual-layer DVD drive is installed (internally) only in the workstation G5, not the server G5.

I'd been doing this for a couple of years and so I knew the typical thruput of the script was about 180-190 Mb per minute. But on 8/11/09 I ran the first archive script since having updated to 10.5.8, and noticed the performance plummeted to only 30 or 40 Mb per minute. No other changes had occurred on either G5 since my I'd run the archive script back in July '09. I'd never installed any version of Retrospect 8, by the way.

Additionally, while working at my own Mac Pro (part of the same Ethernet network), I noticed our internet access was virtually drying-up during the archive. My entire office began to complain they couldn't retrieve mail or surf the web. I finally cancelled the archive mid-way, which immediately restored our internet speeds to normal.

Since then, I've had to do local archiving off the server G5 onto its own internal DVD drive (which can only use single-layer DVDs)-- not optimal, but at least by not doing the archive over the network, I can achieve the old 180-190 Mb thruput and also not affect our company's internet speed while doing so.