Full hard disk... help

My hard drive is full so I can no longer incrementally backup. Is there a way in retrospect for it to delete older files when there have been X number of changes to that file? Thus meaning it takes up less space.

My colleague has told me the only way to fix my space issue is to start again by recycling the harddrive. I kinda like my backed up data though...

My hard drive is full so I can no longer incrementally backup. Is there a way in retrospect for it to delete older files when there have been X number of changes to that file? Thus meaning it takes up less space.

No. What you want is "grooming" of the backup set. Retrospect for Windows has grooming, and Retrospect 8.x for Macintosh has grooming. Retrospect 6.x (and earlier) for Macintosh does not support grooming.

My colleague has told me the only way to fix my space issue is to start again by recycling the harddrive.

That's correct.

I kinda like my backed up data though...

Then buy another disk drive for the new backups, or update to Retrospect 8. Oops, no, updating to Retrospect 8 is not an option because Retrospect 8 cannot read backup sets made with earlier versions of Retrospect. What a concept that a backup program should be able to read its older backups....

Russ

Retrospect for Windows has grooming, and Retrospect 8.x for Macintosh has grooming. Retrospect 6.x (and earlier) for Macintosh does not support grooming.

Darn, that is true...

So what Russ proposes would be the best option: buy another disk.

Or buy the largest disk you can find and copy the old Storage Sets over. This would only be an option if such a disk would have quite a bit more capacity.

Edited by Guest