help restoring data to new mac server

I actually posted this in the 'Customer Service' section too and apologize for the duplicate. I'm not sure where this question belongs. Anyway:

So I just got a new iMac to replace the old mac as the retrospect server. I followed the directions on http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/_index1.asp?tab=faq&r=3.517658E-02 and copied/pasted the catalog files over. I did NOT transfer the preferences though because there was no such folder on the old mac. I forced retrospect to recognize the files and thought everything was fine.

Now I am trying to restore the files from the old mac to the new one and it is giving me problems. The backups are stored on external hard discs (3, daisy chained) and I can see the snapshot I want. However, when I select 'Verify' from 'Tools' menu it says the backup set is missing. When I try to repair the backup set it is grayed out in the menu and cannot be selected.

When I choose to restore files from a backup, I can select the snapshot but it will tell me the discs are missing as well. When I select 'Choices' it moves to the next drives and I get the option to start the restoration process. The first time I was able to select all the files I wanted to copy over, but when the screen saver came on a while later it crashed and gave me execution errors. When I try to restart the process the screen where I can choose the files to transfer shows that there is NO data stored. What can I do to get the data transferred?

I am new to retrospect so I have been having trouble with issues like this. Can anyone help? I know the data is on there and it's imperative that I get it back asap.

Thanks in advance!

So I ...copied/pasted the catalog files over. ...The backups are stored on external hard discs (3, daisy chained)...

Under Retrospect 6, there are two ways to store backup sets on external drives: File backup sets and Removable Disk backup sets. It's important to know what type you used because the storage requirements are different, as are the procedures for verifying and repairing. In a File backup set, the catalog needs to be in the same folder as the data; in a Removable Disk backup set, the catalog needs to be on a separate volume from the data. Also, in order to be able to use ordinary hard drive volumes as if they were removable disks, you have to enable that feature in Preferences/Media Handling.

I did NOT transfer the preferences though because there was no such folder on the old mac.

Impossible unless you trashed the folder and subsequently never launched Retrospect. The folder is located at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect--that's the root level Library folder, not the Library inside your individual user folder. The file in question is called "Retro.Config."

Now, you may not have had any important scripts or lists, so the absence of your old Retro.Config file may not be all that important. However, if you were using Removable Disk backup sets, you will definitely need to re-enable their use.

More information about the types of backup sets in use and what you did when you copied over the catalogs, etc., would be helpful, as would be more details about your hardware setup and the versions of Retrospect and RDU (Retrospect Driver Update) you're using.