Retroactively add password protection

I have a scripted backup of my MacPro (OS 10.5.8) to an external hard drive. When I created the backup, I did not specify password protection for the media set. Is it possible to add password protection to the set after the fact or do I have to recycle the hard drive and start over?

You don't say what version of Retrospect you are using. Because you posted in the Retrospect 6.x forum (rather than the Retrospect 8 forum), I assume you are using Retrospect 6.x.

You cannot add password protection to a backup set once it has been created. From page 154 of the Retrospect 6.x User's Guide (discussing Configure > Backup Set > Options):

The Password radio buttons allow you to choose the level of password protection for secure backup sets. Password options are not available if you did not specify encryption or password protection when you created the backup set.

The workaround is to create a new backup set with a password and use Retrospect to "Transfer" the contents of the old backup set to the new.

Change your scripts to use the new backup set as the destination.

Russ