Restoring OS X from OS 9

I have used OS 9 Disk Copy 6.4 numerous times to backup and restore an OS X system disk from OS 9. Simply "Create Image From Volume" to make the backup (make sure it is a read/write image, or the restored disk will be read-only). To restore, mount the image and do a 'Clone' from the mounted image to the OS X disk-to-be. If the two are the same size, it does a block copy. However, if they are different sizes, Disk Copy "Clone" does a file by file copy. The result is a fully intact bootable OS X disk restored from OS 9. I have done this with both 10.1.x and 10.2.

The question for Dantz... If I can do this using Disk Copy, the capability clearly exists in OS 9. Why can't I do an OS X restore using Retrospect from OS 9? When will I be able to? Having to do a OS X install, followed by a Retrospect Install, followed by a full restore is something only Windoze users should have to do.

We are certainly working with Apple on a quicker disaster recovery approach in Retrospect. Until that time, you could certainly use your approach to simplify the Retrospect restore if needed. Thanks for posting your suggestion.

Archived