Error -519 for remote client

I keep getting -519 (network communication failed) for a remote client. After I see this error in the morning, I launch Retrospect, go to Sources, select that client, flip open its disclosure triangle, select the only volume it uses, and click the Browse button. It finds the machine and volume without problem. If I then run the backup manually, it works.

This might only happen after the server machine has been rebooted, although I can't say for sure at this point.

Known problem? Is there a workaround? Will it be fixed soon?

Both server and client machines are Mac Pros running 10.5.7. Retrospect 8.1, client 6.3.019.

Neither machine is set to sleep. Ever. The client machine is just sitting there waiting for stuff to happen. I only mentioned "morning" because my backups run at night, and I don't see any errors until the next morning. My feeling is that a reboot of the server machine is somehow not allowing RetroEngine to re-find the client.

The client is using a static IP and is connecting via AirPort to my network.

I rebooted and started the script manually - it worked. I've rebooted again and will check the result of the automatic execution tomorrow morning. I don't have time right now to add an extra schedule for the script and reboot again, so I'll just let the normal schedule run.

I rebooted and started the script manually - it worked.

Then the exception has proven the rule, and your -519 errors are not caused by a restart "somehow not allowing RetroEngine to re-find the client."

A complete description of your configuration would probably be helpful at this point. Lots and lots of information is always more useful then little bits portioned out over time.

Dave

Then the exception has proven the rule, and your -519 errors are not caused by a restart "somehow not allowing RetroEngine to re-find the client."

So the act of launching Retrospect and starting the script manually would not affect the connection to clients or attempt to connect to them in any way?

A complete description of your configuration would probably be helpful at this point. Lots and lots of information is always more useful then little bits portioned out over time.

I don't know what else would be helpful aside from the OS and the network. Um… RetroRun is still loaded and running because I need to use Retrospect 6.1 for a different client until AppleScript support is finished in 8.x. In fact, I just noticed that RetroRunSL is also running. I don't recall seeing that one before. Surely neither of those would affect how RetroEngine contacts clients.

The scheduled backup last night completed successfully after a reboot.

What I should try is to create a launchd task that attempts to connect to the client machine a few minutes after the scheduled backup. If this task fails, then there really could be a network problem, possibly with the AirPort network.