Include/Exclude rules

I'm trying to build a rule that includes user files but want to exclude a specific user.

I started with the included User Files and Settings script that includes Folder Mac Path contains /Users/ in the Include files section

To this I added a rule in the Exclude files Section:

Folder Mac Path contains /Users/temp (temp is the name of the user I don't want to back up. In fact I tried several other rules to exclude files (like Folder Mac Path contains Library) and NOTHING is excluded from the files in /Users/ !!!

It's as if the include rules take priority over the exclude rules which is backwards from version 6.

Is there a way to do what I want?

What is the Source of the backup? Is it the root of the boot volume?

What if you made /Users/ a Favorite folder, and started with that; then you'd only need a single Exclude statement.

Then you could go back and use the root level for the Source and Exclude all of /Users/

Can you post a screen shot of the rule?

What is the Source of the backup? Is it the root of the boot volume?

my test was the root of the boot volume but I doubt it would make any difference

What if you made /Users/ a Favorite folder, and started with that; then you'd only need a single Exclude statement.

Then you could go back and use the root level for the Source and Exclude all of /Users/

I tried that but with no include rule, only files in the /Users directory (but not subdirectories are selected so this doesn't work.

Can you post a screen shot of the rule?

I can't figure out how to include a picture.

I doubt it would make any difference

You doubt what would make any difference? No change would make a difference?

tried that but with no include rule, only files in the /Users directory (but not subdirectories are selected so this doesn't work.

"But?"

The "that" I suggested specifically was a way avoid included rules; maybe you could confirm exactly what steps you took in this instance.

(but not subdirectories are selected so this doesn't work.

I can't figure out what this might mean.

Dave