Transfer back contents

1-EXBackup - 8.2T used

2-EXBackup - 577G used

3-EXBackup - 222G used

Is there a way to transfer back the contents of 3-EXBackup to 2-EXBackup? Could not explain why the backup process jumped to the next member set without fully utilizing 2-EXBackup capacity. Thanks a lot.

Assuming that tape member #2 is actually OK and wasn't skipped because the drive encountered problems with the tape, you can do this. You'll have to use a two step process, though.

First, you'll have to create a new backup set and copy the data from member #3 to the new backup set. (If you don't have a second tape drive, you'll have to use some other type of backup set as your new one.) Go to Configure> Backup Sets and set members #1 and #2 as "Missing," and then perform the backup set transfer (at Tools> Copy> Transfer).

After you do this, go back and set members #1 and #2 of EXBackup to "Found," and set member #3 as missing. Then transfer the data from your new backup set to EXBackup.

Assuming that tape member #2 is actually OK and wasn't skipped because the drive encountered problems with the tape, you can do this. You'll have to use a two step process, though.

First, you'll have to create a new backup set and copy the data from member #3 to the new backup set. (If you don't have a second tape drive, you'll have to use some other type of backup set as your new one.)

Hmm... I don't see anything in the original post to indicate that this is a tape backup set:

1-EXBackup - [color:red]8.2T used[/color]

2-EXBackup - 577G used

3-EXBackup - 222G used

If it is, I want to know where to get one of those 8.2 TB tapes. That would be very useful.

I suspect that these are Retrospect 6.x "Disk" backup sets. The suggested strategy is good, but I wonder what disk error (or offline issue) caused the remainder of member 2 to be skipped.

Before trying the rescue attempt, I'd suggest running some sort of a media verify attempt. Perhaps a dd with big block sizes and of=/dev/null or something similar. If SMART status is available for that drive, you might check that for useful information.

Slasher, could we have some information / confirmation regarding the type of backup set you have, and the health of that media?

Russ