RetroEngine is a memory hog?

I was looking at processes in Activity Monitor and noticed that RetroEngine is using more real memory (773M) than any other process, even more than iMovie which is currently exporting an HD movie (a 4-hour process). However, its virtual memory usage is pretty low at 862M; something I would expect for a background daemon type process. If I weren't doing the iMovie export I could reboot and see what RetroEngine uses after a fresh launch.

I'm running Retrospect 8.1.148.1.

I was looking at processes in Activity Monitor and noticed

Any chance for a brief description of your hardware?

I could reboot and see what RetroEngine uses after a fresh launch.

You certainly don't have to reboot an entire computer just to start/stop an individual process. You can use the System Preferences pane, you can unload with launchd, or you can simply kill with Activity Monitor (and restart with either of the other two methods noted above).

Any chance for a brief description of your hardware?

Octocore 2.26GHz Mac Pro, 8G RAM, 10.5.7. Anything else you'd like?

You can use the System Preferences pane

Ah! Heh, I didn't know that was there. I don't even recall seeing it mentioned in the ReadMe or anywhere. Now I see the blurbs about it in the Getting Started pdf.

After starting it up again, it's holding at 17.3M. Actually running a backup must be what causes it to grow.