Client update no longer working

I updated a user to a new iMac and found that I could no longer do a client backup. I updated the Mac to 6.2.234, but the app would not turn on. I have uninstalled the app and installed again, still not turning on.

The error in Console is: Retrospect Client[442] First access password not set, use retroclient -setpass

However, I do not know how to issue this command.

Bart,

There's not enough information in your post to provide you with a solution. Specifically,

(1) what version of Retrospect (x.x.x) is running on the Retrospect (non-client) machine?

(2) Prior to the "update" of the "new iMac", was a Retrospect client installed on that machine? If so, what version? (x.x.x)

(3) Have you checked to see whether there is a firewall on the client "new iMac" or Retrospect (non-client) machine that could be blocking port 497 ?

(4) Does Retrospect (non-client) see the client in the "Configure > Clients > Network" window?

(5) Exactly how did you do the "update" of the "new iMac"? Via a "push install" from Retrospect, or instead by a "local install" from the client installer disk image?

Regarding the command referenced in the Console error message, it is telling you, in terminal, to set the command by:

retroclient -setpass yournewpassword

But I do not believe, in this specific instance, that this is the solution to your problem. Some versions of Retrospect cannot communicate with some versions of the Retrospect client, and I suspect that your problem instead is that you need to update the Retrospect application as well.

Perhaps when we have a few more facts we can help you sort this out.

Russ

Yeah, fair comments. My bad.

1) 6.1.230 is running on the server.

2) The previous machine had Client version 6.1.107

3) There is no firewall running

4) I get an error 541 (client not installed or not running)

5) I got an upgrade from Retrospect website. I did the upgrade because after the transfer of the user from the old computer to the new computer the client would not start. I figured it was because the new computer is an Intel machine and the old one a PowerPC.

I did the retroclient -setpass, but without the yournewpassword item. Strange though, that bash gave me an error message that the app could not be found.

Thanks!

1) 6.1.230 is running on the server.

2) The previous machine had Client version 6.1.107

5) I got an upgrade from Retrospect website. I did the upgrade because after the transfer of the user from the old computer to the new computer the client would not start. I figured it was because the new computer is an Intel machine and the old one a PowerPC.

I'm still confused. In one place you speak of an "upgrade" of the client, yet, in another, you seem to be talking about the "new" machine being an Intel Mac and the "old" machine being a PowerPC.

(1) I still don't see any "upgrade" of a client taking place. Seems to me like an installation of a client on a new machine. Hard to see what relevance there is of the Retrospect client version on the "old" PowerPC machine.

(2) Still haven't gotten an answer to the critical question:

(5) Exactly how did you do the "update" of the "new iMac"? Via a "push install" from Retrospect, or instead by a "local install" from the client installer disk image?

Please list the steps from walking up to the "new" machine (and from your description, I don't see how there could be an older Retrospect client on the "new" machine) to getting the new Retrospect client installed on the new machine.

Also, how many client licenses show available in Retrospect? Did you "forget" the old client on the "old" machine?

Russ

Russ,

One of the older computers got replaced with a new iMac. The older computer was being backed up with a Retrospect client.

I transferred the user to the new iMac with Migration Assistance.

Once the iMac was up and running I noticed I could not make a backup of the new iMac. So I checked out the new iMac and could not get the client started. Figuring that the new iMac needed a newer version of Retrospect Client I downloaded an update of the client and installed it (Client_OS_X-6_2_234.dmg).

I hate to be really dumb about this, but I still can't get you to answer the question.

Please list the steps from walking up to the "new" machine (and from your description, I don't see how there could be an older Retrospect client on the "new" machine) to getting the new Retrospect client installed on the new machine.

There are multiple ways that the install can be done. You still haven't told us what you did. I'm tired of playing "hide the marble". I'm going to sit this one out and let someone else help you.

Have a great day,

Russ

Solved.

It appears that the previous version of Client had created retroclient.state in /Preferences/retroclient.state. Once I deleted the file retroclient.state AND the FOLDER retroclient.state all was well. I had to supply a new password, but the client started right up.

As a sidenote, I have yet to be able to issue the command retroclient -setpass yournewpassword, no matter what folder I was in, with sudo or not.

Bart,

Good luck, but you might not be out of the woods. That's why I was trying so hard to understand how you did the update (and I still don't know).

The manner in which Retrospect client autolaunches is different for the 6.2.x clients than for predecessors. The underlying app's name is different, so it is started differently in the Startup Items, etc.

If things aren't installed right, the client won't start on boot. If we could read your mind and understand EXACTLY (yes, exactly) what you did to do the install on the "new" machine, we might be able to point you in the right direction with things to check to make sure the current install isn't a mix of the old client stuff and new client stuff.

Good luck,

Russ