Backup fails if NAS disks sleeping

Hi,

I run backups every day to a Synology Diskstation 408.

Every the first back up failsbecuase the DS disks are still in sleep mode and it takes time to wake them up.

And I get this error:

+ Normal backup using Backup Documenten at 6/22/2009 8:00 PM

To Media Set Media Set Documenten...

6/22/2009 8:00:00 PM: Copying .belastingdienst.nl

6/22/2009 8:00:00 PM: No files need to be copied

!The Media Set member "1-Media Set Documenten" is corrupt or has data from another set.

I have also seen this one:

TFile::Create: UCreateFile failed, /Volumes/NetBackup-1/Retrospect/Retrospect/EMC, oserr 21, error -1011

Additional error information for Disk Media Set member "1-Media Set Documenten",

Can't write to file /Volumes/NetBackup-1/Retrospect/Retrospect/Media Set Documenten/1-Media Set Documenten/AB000037.rdb, error -1011 ( API request impossible)Additional error information for Disk Media Set member "1-Media Set Documenten",

Can't write to file /Volumes/NetBackup-1/Retrospect/Retrospect/Media Set Documenten/1-Media Set Documenten/AB000037.rdb, error -1011 (%s)]

SMTP: opening addr 213.197.30.124

!Trouble writing: "1-Media Set Documenten" (1349419008), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

Ususally if I start the backup again it has no problems.

Today before the backup started I connented to the DS to make sure the disks were awake before the backup started. And it ran without problems.

Is there some way to make Retrospect wait for the disks to wake up?

Theo Keijzer

Is there some way to make Retrospect wait for the disks to wake up?

Not at present. Retrospect 8 does not have the ability to coordinate external scripting events with backup events as Retrospect 6 and its predecessors did. Perhaps that will be added in some future unannounced version, because it is a requirement for use with servers (to coordinate stop/start of services during backup or checkpointing of those services, etc.), and to handle situations like you are encountering.

One workaround in your case, though, might be to schedule a simple cron job (or some such) that would touch a file on your NAS a minute or two prior to the scheduled start of your Retrospect backup, so as to give the NAS time to spin up. Or you could turn off the sleep mode on the NAS.

Russ