How to add members to optical media set?

I'm running 8.0.736.1 on a new Mac Mini running 10.5.6. I've edited /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/retro.ini

and set DisableOpticalDrivers to 0 (I'll manually start and stop the Engine when I need to do backups).

I've set up a script to backup to an optical media set (using the Assistant), but when I start the backup, there's no indication that the backup is running or wants a DVD. If I insert one, I get the usual Finder alert box asking me what I want to do.

From the console, if I select the Media Sets and view the specific one I've chosen, I can't add any members in the lower-right window. (I did stop and restart the engine after changing the .ini file).

How do I do backups to an optical media set?

I have gotten this to work, I just don't quite remember how....

I didn't add members. I think Retrospect prompted me to do that.

I think the key is to open the tray from Finder, stop the Engine, start the Engine, put a DVD in the tray and close it.

Now Retrospect will see the DVD, and I think your backup will proceed normally.

The thing is that if the Finder sees the DVD, Retrospect will not see it and vice versa. Thus, if you restart your computer with the DVD in the tray, Finder will see it first, Retrospect will not see it, and your backup will fail.

In order to make it work again, you need to go through the procedure above, eject from Finder, stop and start the engine and close the tray.

Hope this helps.

If I insert (a DVD), I get the usual Finder alert box asking me what I want to do.

I did stop and restart the engine after changing the .ini file

If the Finder is seeing the drive (and behaving in whatever way your System preference pane is configured) it suggests that Retrospect's optical device support is deactivated. And since the default install condition for the current version is for such device support to be inactive, there appear to be two possibilities. First, that the instructions EMC provides to enable optical device support are incorrect, or, second, that user error resulted in a failure of the optical device support enabling process.

Since others are having success following the directions, it makes it more likely that the second situation is in play.

So if something went wrong with your configuration change, what might it have been?

- What program did you use to edit the .ini file?

- Is there any chance that the program you used changed the name (such as by adding a file extension that your Finder is not displaying) of the file?

So if something went wrong with your configuration change, what might it have been?

- What program did you use to edit the .ini file?

- Is there any chance that the program you used changed the name (such as by adding a file extension that your Finder is not displaying) of the file?

I used vi to make my change; I've reconfirmed that the file is named exactly as specified in the Read Me file (in fact, I copy/pasted from it).

The DisableOpticalDrivers setting is (and still is) 0. I'm not running VMware or Parallels.

Thanks for the hint, but when I stop the engine, the console app quits.

So, why don't you try to:

Close Retrospect (to prevent it from crashing)

Stop the Engine

Open the DVD tray.

Start the engine

Put a DVD in the tray and close it.

Start Retrospect, which should now see the DVD (under "Storage Devices")

Furthermore you should not be able to eject the DVD from the Finder anymore.