Vista 64bit Access denied

jmckinne91109

I got a new computer with Vista home professional (64bit) and have Retrospect 7.6.123 with driver update and hot fix, version 7.6.2.101.

I set up scripts to run daily for incremental and also a full backup to my Maxtor external drive (189gb). A "full backup" subvolume was set to a full backup folder on the Maxtor external drive. Intitial runs of the script went fine and both sets of backups were successfully created. I could access the full backup directly from my computer with no problem after the backups were initially created. A few days later, I came back and discovered that when I tried to access the full backup via Vista, Vista produced a "access denied, you do not have permission" error, even though I am logged on as a user with administrator privilidges. Following Vista prompts, I went to the Vista Security tab to reset permissions for the folder (full backup). When I tried to "apply", it responded that I did not have permission to edit security permissions for that folder??. Bringing up Retrospect & checking the history, I also noticed that later scripted "full backups" had errors flagged "accesd denied". Using Retrospect to select the Volume (Full Backup), I was able to access & later "forget" & delete the "full backup" folder successfully (i.e. access was allowed via Retrospect manually). I started over with the full backup script, and again, after a few days, the same thing occurred. Thus, it would appear that Retrospect is somehow restricting access to itself. Scripted Incremental backups are working fine, with only expected errors (as far as I can tell).

See below for partial most recent history.

Thanks in advance for you help. Not sure why this has to be so complicated??

+ Normal backup using Doc_Setting_Incremental_Backup at 6/2/2009 4:00 AM

To Backup Set Matt_Incremental_BU...

- 6/2/2009 4:00:00 AM: Copying Documents and Settings on OS (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\NTUSER.DAT": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\ntuser.dat.LOG1": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG1": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Pictures\Family\Michael's Kids\Brianna\Birth\100_0122.JPG": can't read, error -1127 (data error detected in file using cyclic redundancy check)

6/2/2009 4:00:53 AM: Snapshot stored, 7,921 KB

6/2/2009 4:00:54 AM: 5 execution errors

Remaining: 5 files, 4,352 KB

Completed: 94 files, 51.5 MB, with 17% compression

Performance: 134.2 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:53 (00:00:30 idle/loading/preparing)

- 6/2/2009 4:00:55 AM: Verifying Matt_Incremental_BU

6/2/2009 4:00:55 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 94 files, 51.5 MB

Performance: 3086.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:00 (00:00:01 idle/loading/preparing)

+ Duplicate using Matt Full Backup at 6/2/2009 5:00 AM

To volume Doc_setting_Full_Backup on Local Disk (J:)...

TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, C:\Documents and Settings\, winerr 144, error -1011

TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, J:\Retrospct_Backups\Doc_setting_Full_Backup\, winerr 144, error -1011

TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, J:\Retrospct_Backups\Doc_setting_Full_Backup\, winerr 144, error -1011

TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, C:\Documents and Settings\, winerr 144, error -1011

- 6/2/2009 5:00:00 AM: Copying Documents and Settings on OS (C:)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\NTUSER.DAT": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\ntuser.dat.LOG1": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG1": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Pictures\Family\Michael's Kids\Brianna\Birth\100_0122.JPG": can't read, error -1127 (data error detected in file using cyclic redundancy check)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\AppData\Local\Application Data\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\AppData\Local\History\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Application Data\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Cookies\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Documents\My Music\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Documents\My Pictures\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Documents\My Videos\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Local Settings\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\My Documents\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\NetHood\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\PrintHood\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Recent\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\SendTo\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Start Menu\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Templates\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\AppData\Local\Application Data\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\AppData\Local\History\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Application Data\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Cookies\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Documents\My Music\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Documents\My Pictures\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Documents\My Videos\": can't read security information, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)