Desktop v5.0-can I backup Fileshared Macs or Not?

Hi;

Here's my situation: I work at a small company with a mix of older and newer Macs and PCs. We are currently running Retrospect 4.3 Desktop & back up to a tape drive.

6 machines total.

2 XP workstations, with shared folders between them, with Retrospect clients

2 old Macs running 8.6--they can never be upgraded to X-they have filesharing on to share drives, they have Retrospect clients installed.

1 newer Mac running OSX 10.1.5-will be upgraded to Jaguar- also will be a client

1 newer Mac running 9.2-this one has Main Retrospect App & tape drive- has filesharing to share drives. This will be upgraded to Jaguar .

I read in another post that Retrospect 5.0 won't back up machines with filesharing on? (I did not see anything about this in the readme file)How then can I back up my older macs?

Am I just misunderstanding the whole issue? I sure hope so...

If not, could somebody give me some ideas to workaround this?

Thanks

Retrospect can certainly back up machines when filesharing is on. Are you referring to the removal of support for AppleTalk clients? If so you'll need to set up TCP/IP connectivity between the Retrospect server and the 8.x clients. That OS is still fully supported; you just need TCP/IP Retrospect clients, not Appletalk Retrospect clients.

It's also possible that you were reading posts about problems backing up shared volumes under OS X; you're using the client software and your server is OS 9, so none of those problems would apply to you.

From your configuration report, I don't see anything that would cause problems for a Retrospect backup under 5.0, assuming that the 8.6 clients have TCP connections to the Retrospect server.

• 3 months later...

I've been looking and looking for a solution to this.

We have 5.x Server on OS X... and the copies of the clients to install I have are all set to AppleTalk. I started setting up a machine with our old 4.3 server software (which does support AppleTalk) just to switch clients I'm installing to TCP/IP but I lost a lot of the updates when I restored a volume which had a lot of our sw on it (the resource forks got lost, making a TON of our sw useless).

in any event, where can I find a client that's already set to TCP/IP. I tried copying one from another computer but then I get a conflict of course (by name when the two are up and by validation code if i turn one off, change the name, and have them both up).

pls help.

thanks!

Archived