LaCie DVD-RAM/R & MacOS X Woes

This all worked back in April, either an Apple or Dantz update broke it...

My LaCie drive has the Matshita LF-D310 DVD-RAM/R combo, which is not certified, but Dantz claims Retrospect should work with DVD-RAM disks AOK (to reiterate: this used to work, I'm using the same backup script which is correctly set to removeable disks).

I re-erased my DVD-RAMS using Disk Utility, putting a single untitled partition on each. They work AOK in the Finder. When I launch Retrospect, go to Configure Devices, and then insert a disk, the window says:

Avaliable storage devices...

[Lock Icon] Content unrecognized Panasonic DVD-RAM/R, Firewire A

1) Why is the lock icon there? The disks are NOT locked.

2) Why are the contents unrecognizable? The Finder sees the exact same disk AOK.

If I click Erase, then click OK, Retrospect hangs. I have to reboot after that to use the DVD-RAM again.

I tried removing the Driver Updates, this didn't help. I've tried the 2.8 and the latest 2.9.

Ideas?

TIA,

Sam

Do you have a record of what you changed when this stopped working?

What happens if you don't insert a disk until Retrospect asks you for it? What happens with a brand new disk?

How are the disks formatted?

What OS, precisely?

>Do you have a record of what you changed when this stopped working?

No, it was months ago (April), I updated within a day or two of the 10.1.x releases.

>What happens if you don't insert a disk until Retrospect asks you for it?

This works sometimes, see below.

>What happens with a brand new disk?

Brand new disks did not work properly back in April, so I pre-formatted them all using Disk Utility.

>How are the disks formatted?

Using Disk Utility, single MacOS HFS+ partition.

>What OS, precisely?

MacOS X 10.1.5 with all updates (except foreign languages), latest Retrospect & Driver Update, G3/300 MT with 640MB RAM, FireWire and USB cards, lotsa disk space, LaCie Panasonic/Matsushita LF-D310 DVD-RAM/R 5.01 Firmware A112.

I got a backup started yesterday by putting a DVD-RAM into the drive before launching Retrospect and then ignoring the dialog warning to eject it & go to the Configure>Devices. Once the script was running, in the media request window, the disk showed up as two disks: one with a CD icon with the tiny lock icon & contents unrecognizable, and the other with the removeable disk icon & Untitled disk name. Choosing the removeable worked, Retrospect happily erased it and backed up. I stopped the script after backing up my boot drive, and then restarted Retrospect the same way with a second/blank disk. Retrospect properly handled the Choices to skip to blank media.

When the second disk was full Retrospect properly asked for and accepted the third DVD-RAM. The next request was to reinsert the second disk for verification: the media window only showed the DVD-RAM as the CD icon with the tiny lock icon & contents unrecognizable again. The disk was properly mounted on the desktop.

TIA,

Sam

Archived