How to evaluate how far along backup is?

I ran a backup of my system overnight onto an external hard drive. This is the first time I've used V8 to try to backup the entire drive. This morning, the external drive had the right amount of data (in 600 MB files) to represent the source, but the Log file still only had an entry saying that the backup had been launched the night before. After an hour of not sensing any disk activity, I figured that the backup was complete and quit Retrospect (+ stopped the Engine). I then opened the Log file with TextEdit and found that my backup was only about 1/4 of the way through the verification process.

My question is, how can one tell how far along the Backup process has made it? In the earlier versions there was that very nice activity window that showed in excruciating detail which file was being backed up/compared to that made it pretty easy to guestimate when things would wrap up.

Did I miss something in the Getting Started Guide?

System details:

Intel imac, 10.5.6, V8.0.608.1

Thanks in advance,

Alan Glendinning

P.S. The first phase of the backup, copying some 220 GB via FW800 only took about 8 hrs; I find that very encouraging!