Drive Letter for External Hard Drive

I have two external hard drives that I rotate for offsite backups. I want them both to be assigned drive letter z. I have reformatted each drive separately and assigned both the drive letter z and then run a full backup. However, each time I remove one and connect the other, the connected drive becomes drive f. How can I force both drives to keep drive z? I'm running Retrospect version 7.6.123 with driver update and hot fix 7.6.2.101. Backup Server is windows 2003 sp2.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

I am sorry that I don't know how to force the drives to always share Z:, however:

Retrospect only looks at the drive letter as a secondary verification. When the application is launched and told to do a backup it is going to look for the storage location with the proper disk label (name of the drive) then verify that the Retrospect folder structure exists on that drive. Given that...drive letter should be irrelevant.

• 9 months later...

I have previously been successful in assigning "permanent" drive letters to external drives. This was done (in WinXP) by assigning the letter through Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Storage >> Disk Management. At Disk Management, you should be able to right-click each drive and assign/change the drive's name and path, etc. This process should be similar in your system. Hope this helps.